Need help with my processor.

rabbit_88

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Usually when I watch videos my player loads processor 98%, when I open my browser Taskmanager shows that browser loads 56%, explorer.exe 35%. I checked for viruses, cleaned temp and StartUp folders, even installed new hard drive. The problem is the same. What has happened with my processor?

On my computer OS: Windows XP, 2GB of RAM memory, CPU Pentium 4, motherboard ASUS p5kpl-am in/roem/si

My best guess is that your computer is just old. Video quality keeps increasing, but that takes more and more CPU power. If you are able to lower the video quality, it could use less of your CPU. Depending on your system, you may be able to add a GPU which could shoulder some of the computational burden of video decoding from your CPU.

I would recommend that you replace your computer. You can get a laptop or desktop that would be much more powerful for less $300.

Also, if you run Windows XP and connect to the internet, there is no way you can protect yourself from viruses.

rabbit_88

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
But it worked well, few monthes ago. I haven't changed video quality, it loads processor, even if it plays a movie which it played well 5-7 years ago, and it can't play well, now video is slower than sound, because player loads processor 90% with those old videos too. I don't have an opportunity to get a new computer now, I want to fix this one. Please help me. Maybe something wrong with processor? Maybe there are programs that can show what causes that load of processor?

It may be possible to improve things, but I need more information. Are you watching videos stored on your computer or from a website like youtube or netflix? Give as much information as you can about the program you use to watch these videos.

It is very unlikely that there is anything wrong with your processor, but if your case is full of dust, heat could be slowing things down. I do think that your problem is most likely caused by software, however: Pentium 4's just do not handle modern software well at all.

rabbit_88

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
I usually watch videos on Kmplayer or Windows Media Player, quality of video is not so high, usually it's 640x480 or 720x304. But when I play it video is slower than sound. And when I open two browsers simultaneously (for example, Opera and Mozilla) processor starts to be overloaded by them.
What exactly you want to know more? Ask me.
I just don't understand, few moths ago it was OK.
Maybe it is better to change OS?