1680x1050 still good for gaming? AMD VSR works?

swangjang

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
Hi.
I'm building a new PC soon and that means I also need to get a new monitor.
I've been looking at an auction site, similar to ebay but my own country's verson, and I found a monitor that I could buy for $1 (provided no one else bids).
It's 22" but it's resolution is 1680x1050, not full HD which I was hoping to get, and I'm just wondering if games will look a bit weird at that resolution or if it will be completely fine.
I plan to play GTA5, Dota2, Assassins Creed Unity/Syndicate, Rise of Tomb Raider.
I would like to know if those games natively support that resolution and if that resolution is still totally fine for playing new titles.

Also, another question for those who use 1680x1050 with AMD cards about virtual super resolution.
On the official AMD website, that resolution is not in the supported resolutions list, however I've read on another forum that some people get the VSR option for that resolution and some people don't. I will contact AMD as well about this but do you get VSR on 1680x1050?

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your help.

Solution

If you are using a native 1680x1050 monitor, there will be no bars. Not unless you don't have a suitable gfx driver installed, that is. One of my family members is still running 1680x1050 and very happy with it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing wrong with gaming at 1680x1050. It will look fine. In game you will set the resolution to that if it doesn't do it automatically. One benefit of playing at slightly lower rez than 1080p, is that frame rates will be slightly higher than if you were gaming at 1080p.

From what I've seen with AMD's VSR, it's not enough to get excited about. Personally, I don't notice a thing different.

swangjang

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for your reply.
But don't 1680x1050 have black bars on either side of the monitor?
I've seen some youtube videos and some people on 1680x1050 have black bars.
Maybe because they're using 1920x1080 monitors, I don't know.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you are using a native 1680x1050 monitor, there will be no bars. Not unless you don't have a suitable gfx driver installed, that is. One of my family members is still running 1680x1050 and very happy with it.

Solution