Picture not showing on my second monitor

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi there,

I shall give you some background information on my problem, and hope this is enough to help.

*THIS COULD BE A LARGE CHUNK OF TEXT*

I used to have one AOC I2369VFM monitor hooked up by hdmi from my graphics cad (MSI R9 280X) using a HDMI cable and of course this worked fine.

On black friday I splurged and bought a second monitor (Acer K242HQK 4k monitor), i hooked this up by DVI cable from graphics card and monitor. This worked fine however after a month the 4k monitor the display started flickering, and sometimes wouldnt even show up, this started to become a huge problem so left it for a while.

I decided to buy a DVI to HDMI cable incase it was the DVI connection on the monitor that was at fault, I hooked the DVI end to the PC and hdmi into the monitor and still nothing.

I used the DVI to HDMI into my other monitor and it shows fine, so I've currently got that in my normal monitor, and ive just used a striaght hdmi cable into my 4k monitor and its still showing no picture.

I've tried looking at the manual to see what buttons I need to press to turn it over to HDMI or whatever, however it numbers the buttons and doesnt say what they do (Manual link here: https://www.manualowl.com/m/Acer%20Computers/K242HQK/Manual/447821?page=26) for reference the manual for the monitor is there, the numbering of the buttons is on the last few pages.

I'm hoping someone may have an idea here of something i can do to get a picture on the display.

Many thanks

-Adam

P.S The monitor is turned on and showing a blue light.

Solution
I had a nexus 5, ordered from China via eBay, one of the dumbest ideas I have ever had.
After a few days use, screen started flickering, after a while the screen stopped working. I opened it up, replaced the screen and it worked fine. The screen they have installed was rubbish.

Mantad

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
There is something you have to understand regarding black friday, boxing day deals...
The higher the discount they offer on products, more likely it's rubbish, because no one is buying that grade products.
It's a common issue when you buy a monitor/tv with a good discount and later on it stops working...

I've experienced these problems before, it's the way they build these monitors. Mass production with poor quality material.
So now I would rather pay the extra buck to get something that actually lasts for a few years...

Your only option is to bring it back for a refund or and exchange mate... Wish you best of luck with this.
Hope this helped :).

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014

The monitor itself wasnt discounted that much and has excellent reviews, I always do my research first.

Mantad

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
Doesn't change nothing, I just assumed that you bought it with a good deal.
Bring it back. Otherwise take off the screen of the monitor and take a look at the PCB to see if there are any faults, something worth checking is the power socket's connection. You would need a multimeter in this case as well.
So... Think otherwise... Just bring it back.

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014

Hmm ok, ive got it hooked up to my ps4 using a hdmi cable, sound is coming out of the monitor but no display? IE no picture displayed

Mantad

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
No problem with the PCB components. Either the actual screen broke down or the connection to the PCB burnt. Sounds like the processor of the monitor works, so it has to be the PCB to screen connection or the actual screen is faulty

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014

What do you mean by PCB? sorry im not very experinced with monitor components

Mantad

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
I had a nexus 5, ordered from China via eBay, one of the dumbest ideas I have ever had.
After a few days use, screen started flickering, after a while the screen stopped working. I opened it up, replaced the screen and it worked fine. The screen they have installed was rubbish.

Solution

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014

I dont think im confident enough with opening up the monitor, Im working on a replacement/refund, thank you for your help!

Mantad

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
Ok, when you open your computer case, you see a big board, where all of the components fit on. That is the PCB board.
A PCB board is anything that has components soldered on top of it.
If you would open your monitor, you would see that it has a similar board, but it's way smaller. So a component or a few are not working anymore, either it could be the screen if that's the same situation like I had with my nexus 5.
Hope this helped mate, bring it back for an exchange, don't hesitate, honestly.