At boot: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error

brentalous

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
I've got a fresh custom build that's been running fine, but then upon boot today, before it could even get to the login screen, I get a blue screen saying:

jLA5J6n.jpg

I've tried startup repair but can't seem to get past it. Any suggestions?

Solution
Hello brentalous

Sometimes the issue is related to graphics card driver or the card itself.

You can try updating the graphics card driver and see if the issue is resolved. If the problem persists, you can go to Device Manager and try disabling the graphics card from there and try starting your PC using the standard graphics card.

This solution or this solution may be of some help. You can also check the reply of another user in the second link. It looks like he found a solution by updating the BIOS.

As a last resort, i.e. if none of the above solutions work, you can try Restoring Your Windows 10 to an Earlier Restore Point.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)
Hello brentalous

Sometimes the issue is related to graphics card driver or the card itself.

You can try updating the graphics card driver and see if the issue is resolved. If the problem persists, you can go to Device Manager and try disabling the graphics card from there and try starting your PC using the standard graphics card.

This solution or this solution may be of some help. You can also check the reply of another user in the second link. It looks like he found a solution by updating the BIOS.

As a last resort, i.e. if none of the above solutions work, you can try Restoring Your Windows 10 to an Earlier Restore Point.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

Solution

brentalous

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014

Thanks. Since I can't even get into Windows to switch/turn off drivers I will try updating BIOS and see if that helps

brentalous

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
OK, so after updating to latest BIOS version for my MSI 970 mobo, I'm still hitting the same error screen upon boot. I can't restore to an earlier time since it's a fresh build. So should I just reinstall Windows at this point? I just don't want to run into this same error again after doing so.

brentalous

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Alright so just an update on the situation:

I was able to get into Safe Mode and uninstall the graphics card driver with AMD's Uninstaller Utility. From that point, I was able to boot to Windows 10 just fine. But every time I go to install the actual driver for the graphics card, it gets half way done then throws up a black screen. I then have to reboot in safe mode all over again.

I'm lost as to what could have caused this and how to resolve it.

Jared_13

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Running into the same issue and have not found any solution to it yet I installed fresh on a ssd and a regular drive, and the issue happens way faster on the ssd the mechanical drive will boot and sit there for a min or so and then it happens. Some times it works and Some times it does not,, from what I have been reading around the net it seems like it is mainly people with amd that are having the issue

Jared_13

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
It worked for me.. But ever time I shut down same issue, so what I have just done is went and found some of my old gpu driver cd's with old versions of catalist on them, I installed them and running system stability test now.. From what I have found so far it seems to be older and chipsets are not compatable with windows 10, I have 2x 280x in my system and it seems after old driver install things seem to be stable will keep you updated

Jared_13

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Ok so old amd drivers work flawlessly no stability issues what so ever was able to boot into Windows no problem I went all the way back to 13.20 I wanna try and find my software for 14.00 and test it out but yea man 13.20 and drivers stable with windows 10... It's the new driverers and older amd chipsets with windows 10 like I said I have xfire 280x. Still based off of Tahiti arciticture