Need help deciding between this 3 monitors.

twizted94

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
Hello everyone, so for the past week I have been looking for monitors and between today and tomorrow i might pull the trigger and finally get one, I have been looking A LOT and ended up having this 3 monitors that for me appear to be the same and the price is the same too.

This are the monitors im talking about:

S2715H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM3KG7115&cm_re=s2715h-_-24-260-218-_-Product

MX279H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236309&cm_re=MX279H-_-24-236-309-_-Product

HP 27XW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824276198&cm_re=27XW-_-24-276-198-_-Product

So this are the monitors that I ended up thinking on getting. In any case I missed a better monitor in this price range (200-250) Feel free to suggest it. I must say I don't really care about: Stands, vesa, speakers, usbs, pivot/tilt.

Thanks a lot for reading and all answers are really appreciated! :D

Solution
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160273
259$
AOC G2460PF Black 24" 144hz 1ms with freesync if your gaming and have an amd card...this is the best deal i can see for that, quality may not be the best but i have no personal experience, just seems like a really good deal, more expensive for a team green option.

If you are not interested in other suggestions id ask if you plan on mounting one id go with the dell, if not mounting then asus, those are both fair either way.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Dell has a very high response time, not that good for gaming or video. Should have decent color reproduction though. HP has a huge response time.

I would take the ASUS out of the three. Many cheaper options though.

However, 1080p on a 27" screen at desktop viewing distance means that the pixels will be readily visible. These are not comfortable screens to read on unless you turn up some desktop scaling.

I would either spring for a 27" 2560x1440 at around the $300 mark, or hold off on a purchase.

Take your monitors and see if they have been reviewed over at tftcentral.co.uk for some decent feedback. I think they also have a monitor selector somewhere.

twizted94

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

I'm currently using a 32" tv as my main screen and I personally dont find any problems with the ppi, the colors are really bad though and in dark scenes it gives me a headache due to an insane amount of ghosting, so yeah size isn't really a problem for me haha. Thanks for the site, will use it and see what I can find.

The HP is likely the best one across the board, as it's the new version of the Xi series. You won't have a problem with response times using a monitor, regardless what panel type you choose. If you don't want any ghosting, then you should buy a 144 Hz monitor such as the VG248QE. It's got Lightboost, meaning 1 ms pixel persistance, this is currently the only way to get rid of ghosting in an LCD. A 60 Hz monitor has got a static response time of 16 ms regardless if it's TN, VA, IPS, you'll easily be able to see the ghosting.

Correction; I don't pay much attention to the monitor gaming market, but there is a 60 Hz Lightboost monitor, meaning no ghosting, but you will see the flicker, similar to a CRT.

I'm also using a TV as my main monitor, a 32" Philip TV, it's pretty old. After having used a projector for a while, for movies and TV, I can't use a regular sized monitor, such as 24", it's just way too small. I don't have any problems with seeing the pixel structure either, and no moire. My visual acuity is above average as well, so based on a lot of people's opinion, professional or not, I should be able to count the pixels in the grid, since I'm only 27" away from it, eyes to screen. Moving about 5" closer, I'm starting to notice a bit of moire, and a few inches closer than that, I start to see the pixel structure, but I still can't count them, though it's not comfortable to look at.

twizted94

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

I have never owned an IPS panel, so thats kind of the main reason why I listed those 3 monitors, I was thinking on getting the VG248QE or the xl2411z at the start but the fact that it's a TN panel worries me, also, I don't own a really beefy system so pulling over 60fps is kind of a hard time unless I turn graphics down which I don't want to haha.

I don't know if ghosting was the right word in my last reply, since I don't notice any of it on my second screen, a cheap tn monitor 60hz 5ms response time. Might be something with the TV and dark areas.

Some older TV's display obvious ghosting. If it's a recent model, 3-4 years old, then settings is what I would look into. A lot of processing is going on inside TV's, as opposed to a monitor. You want to turn all of this OFF, typically by using the "Game" mode, if your TV has it.

Yeah, ghosting can be annoying, though my Philips TV is 4-5 years old, and no complaints. If I use my projector on the other hand, it's both more responsive (input lag), and less ghosting, due to the fact that it's 144 Hz, even when I'm playing PC games, and console games at 30 and 60 FPS. Comparing it to a plasma however, Ligthboost is required.

My point is, the "5 ms" you mentioned, doesn't mean anything whatsoever. It's only used to boost sales. A TN monitor may annoy you, but it should be fine for the most part. They're terrible at viewing angles, but other than that, they equal an IPS monitor's contrast, and typically has less defects too. But that doesn't mean that all IPS or "IPS-like" monitors offer perfect viewing angles either, I have seen plenty of IPS monitors that could be compared to VA.

I would look up reviews, before buying a new monitor if I were you, or better, view them in person. It's never easy to say, and review samples are typically cherry-picked for higher review scores (more sales). So who can you really trust? Display market as a whole in a nutshell...

mufflertape

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160273
259$
AOC G2460PF Black 24" 144hz 1ms with freesync if your gaming and have an amd card...this is the best deal i can see for that, quality may not be the best but i have no personal experience, just seems like a really good deal, more expensive for a team green option.

If you are not interested in other suggestions id ask if you plan on mounting one id go with the dell, if not mounting then asus, those are both fair either way.

Solution

twizted94

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

Damn, I would actually go for that if my card supported freesync haha, I got a 280x sadly. Stillthough that's a really good price, thanks for the recommendation, will keep an eye on it incase anything comes up.

mufflertape

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015

well you could be leap frogging on a budget then, nothing wrong with that, if you end up getting it you get a solid 144htz display until you get a gcn 1.1 or newer card then no waste and get benefits now and later, happy to help :)