HDD+SSD system with disk encryption

frzsombor

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hello Everyone!

I have two disks in my laptop: an HDD (1TB, 7.2k rpm) and an SSD (240GB).
I'm using this machine for both work and gaming. Fearing of theft, I surely want to encrypt my data with TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt/etc. Of course I don't want to encrypt games, downloads, installed program files (as these are publicly available to anyone), but program data (like web cookies, my project files), documents, etc should be encrypted.

I'm looking forward to hear some ideas, what would be the best way to setup my system:
1) Windows and work on encrypted SSD, program files, games, downloads on HDD
2) Windows and work on encrypted HDD, program files, games, downloads on SSD
3) Also looking for other ideas about different partitioning and encrypting (*)

(*) Here I'm thinking about more complex solutions, for example use SSD for Windows, but separate a 240GB partition on the HDD for mirroring the SSD contents there, and I still can use the remaining HDD. But I don't know how this would effect performance.

I really can't decide. The fast, SSD based system sounds awesome, but I'm a bit afraid of SSDs because my previous, unlucky experiences I had with computer storages. As long as I know, if a HDD fails, most of the time there are good chances to get your data back, but if an SSD dies, it's an other story.

Waiting for your ideas, experiences, comments.

Thank you!

frzsombor

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Ok, I see your point, and you are right. I must do backups regularly, and I will do on an external drive. Keeping this in mind, should I choose the first option?