SSD stopped booting windows 10 suddenly

Meeten

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
hi there, ive been using windows 10 for a wile now with no issues.

ive recenetly had my PSU changed to the EVGA 850w G2, from CX500M, to ensure best components for my gaming PC.

but something has now gone wrong. my pc wont boot windows 10 from the SSD. it was working completely fine up til now.

just comes up with the error message to reboot and select proper boot device...

the SSD is clearly recognised, and i can see it through the BIOS. ive even disconnected the HDD to ensure that its only booting from the SSD, and also made sure that its in the right slot as well as the 1st boot priority, even tried to manual override boot from the bios, and still nothing.

Solution

This! I had the same problem and tried a bunch of different things, then finally put the old spinny drive (with Windows 7) as boot1 in the bios, and the newer SSD (with Windows 10) as boot2, and everything went back to normal. Why it suddenly stopped being that way is another mystery because it had been working fine for months but, at least I'm back up and running.

Meeten

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
i managed to get the SSD working. i used the windows 10 media tool to recover to yesterdays regular session. HOWEVER at some point, it seems my HDD has gone. cant get any respose from it. in fact, i think it may have even blown.

i primarily used it for games storage, so ill have to replace it.

thanks for the response though.

This is why it's recommended that you disconnect all other drives except your boot drive when installing Windows. Windows XP could only be installed on the boot drive, but later versions could be installed on secondary drives. In that configuration, the Windows bootstrap is installed on the boot (first) drive, and the bootstrap tells the computer to look for Windows on the second drive.

It sounds like your boot drive was actually your HDD. When your computer turned on, it booted the bootstrap off the HDD, which told it to start up Windows on the SSD. When the HDD died, there was no more bootstrap and your computer gave you a "no boot device" error.

Crantzbea

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

This! I had the same problem and tried a bunch of different things, then finally put the old spinny drive (with Windows 7) as boot1 in the bios, and the newer SSD (with Windows 10) as boot2, and everything went back to normal. Why it suddenly stopped being that way is another mystery because it had been working fine for months but, at least I'm back up and running.

Solution