monitor not showing in device manager, and only 60hz despite being set to 144

Haverford

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
As soon as I got the monitor working, I knew I wasn't getting 144hz, just from looking at the windows pointer. I also had small groups of coloured stripes on the side of the display. A mains reset took care of those.
I checked in windows, and the 144hz option is there and selected. I checked the on-cscreen menu of the monitor, and 144hz was seleced there too. However, my menu looks nothing like that in the manual, and is unnavigable. I get a small black box that tells me my resolution and refresh. Any attempt to navigate using the arrow buttons just jumps straight to adjusting the brightness. And the other buttons...the one on the right that should select stuff...I press that and it says ULMP not available. The one on the left does nothing at all.
The monitor doesn't show in device manager. It's listed as "generic pnp monitor".
I downloaded what I can only assume is a driver from the asus website and tried updating from the device manager by browsing to the folder, but I just get a message that my driver is up to date.
I've tried a few versions of driver for my video card. I have a Sapphire HD7770. I can't install Radeon Settings, because it just crashes, so I installed an older version of Catalyst Contro Center. There's no setting in there either that's limiting me to 60hz
I'm plugged in via a displayport cable

Haverford

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

I get stable 250fps in Quake and 170fps in CS:GO, so running the windows desktop at 144hz should be no problem. But everything is locked to 60 on-screen

Haverford

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

Vg248qe I've tried the driver on the website, but windows won't install it. It tells me it's up to date. Also, I have no hdmi, or dvi inputs, or headphone input. I get the feeling this is a fake. The shell is right, but those connections aren't there. I think someone has put different internals in the shell. The menu is completely wrong, too

Haverford

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Haverford

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

Well, I got the driver off the website to install okay, but I'm wondering what's up with that menu. Since the seller appears to be some kind of repair shop, I assume the lack of inputs is due to replacing that part. But to have a different menu...that suggests that something is very wrong. I'm going to see if there's a firmware update while I wait to hear from the vendor

Haverford

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

At the time I started this thread...about 2 hours. It's cool, though. Next time I upgrade my GFX card, I'll get one with Gsnyc to take advantage of the mod