Any way of getting windows cheaper?

Farapon

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Hi, i'm planning on buying a laptop (without OS) and the only way i know to get a windows copy is to go to a store and pay 100 euros.
But i see videos and read stuff that people get their windows 'legal' keyS for much cheaper.
I see a lot of people saying 'oh, how great the laptop doesn't come with OS, it's 100 dollars/euros cheaper' my answer is 'how the hell is it cheaper if you ave to buy an 100 $/€ copy?'
I don't understand, can someone explain what are the options about getting an OS?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is no legitimate way to get windows for cheaper. it costs what it costs.

these other ways are not very reputable and often sell pirated/stolen keys which later end up blacklisted.

if you are a student often your school has a deal with MS for a cheaper license. this is the only legit way to get a cheaper copy. windows and office can be very cheap through your school. ask them if you are a student about this and they can point you in the right direction.

otherwise it is full price like everyone pays.

Only way i have seen to get it cheaper is to sign up for a online retailer's email newsletter, like Newegg's, and wait for a sale. I've seen Windows 10 Home as low as $79.99 from Newegg, but that is when a holiday sale is on. Amazon rarely has sales on Windows, but sometimes...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's also possible that you may find a copy of windows 7 or 8.1 a little bit cheaper and then you can use the free upgrade to win 10 on it. sometimes you can get it for 10 bucks or so cheaper. not a massive savings but a little bit cheaper anyway.

the only 'legit' cheap key is if you have access to a student discount or have a friend who does. Otherwise you are taking a pretty big gamble that the obviously bending the rules price from some no name website will even work.

Like your PSU never ever be cheap with the OS. Pay the price or roll with Linux.

I understand that, it was just an example of the sales.

@OP: I just checked my latest newegg newsletter and in fact, they have a 48-hour sale for W10 home at $79.99 right now. If Newegg ships to your country, it is worth it to sign up as the promo code is only for subscribers. It's at least worth checking it out.

If you want a free OS, you might like to try Linux Mint 17.3. It does pretty much all a normal user would want to do and its really easy to use. It comes with Libre-Office 5 pre-installed. Download it, install it, give it a go for week and if still want to buy Win10, then pay the dosh.

TRENDING THREADS