Make Font size changes permanent

frusubilam

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2015
Windows 10

I'm having a tough time finding an answer to what I think is a simple question.

When I alter my font sizes, they revert back to default after restating the computer

tmhcg837.png
[/URL]
I have been told several things. For example, that if you change the DPI, it prevents you from changing the font size, unless you do it directly in the registry.

I tried to do it using Winaero Tweaker. I assumed it was a convenient way to alter the registry, but it had zero effect when I used it to change the font size

As you see, the registry shows has a font size of "92". I want to change all text sizes to 12pt, bold.

So, can I, or how can I alter the registry to accomplish this?

thanks

Solution
Are you familar with regedit? If not, there are lots of links discussing its use and the necessary precautions.

Regedit allows you, as an adminstrator, to directly edit the registry.

Risky in that you must know what to change, where to change it, and the desired change.

Winareo Tweaker gives you the path (keyname) and the information. Trusting that "92" results in 12pt bold font. (As you are quite aware, knowing the correct value is very important. See if you can find some supporting verification - a table or other list of values for font and size.)

You would open regedit and go down the same path and make the size change directly in the registry.

Very easy to open, go down the path, and look. Just be careful not to...

Ralston18

Titan
Are you sure that you clicked "Apply", "Save", "Ok", etc. after making the changes - easy to miss or overlook sometimes.

Do you have adminstrative rights to the computer?

Have you seen any messages or notices that you must have admin rights?

frusubilam

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2015
As I said originally
When I alter my font sizes, they revert back to default after restating the computer

Initially, the custom settings take effect as expected. For instance, the desktop icon fonts increase in size, and become bold.

The problem is that when I restart my computer, the text settings "revert" back to their default levels.

Ive done everything by the book, as far as I know.

This is a known issue. Some have mentioned that for the changes to remain permanent, they must be made directly in the registry. But when I ask how to do it, I get no answer.

For whoever is familiar with this phenomenon, I'm hoping that they can confirm whether a registry tweak will do the trick, and if so can advise me how to translate the font size shown in the illustration in my first post to the 12pt bold font I am looking for.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you familar with regedit? If not, there are lots of links discussing its use and the necessary precautions.

Regedit allows you, as an adminstrator, to directly edit the registry.

Risky in that you must know what to change, where to change it, and the desired change.

Winareo Tweaker gives you the path (keyname) and the information. Trusting that "92" results in 12pt bold font. (As you are quite aware, knowing the correct value is very important. See if you can find some supporting verification - a table or other list of values for font and size.)

You would open regedit and go down the same path and make the size change directly in the registry.

Very easy to open, go down the path, and look. Just be careful not to initially change anything. "Cancel" is your friend.

As always, back up the registry and have a recovery disk available.

If confident in what you find, then try the change. But only one thing at a time.

Make the change and restart. Hopefully that will work.

Solution