Qualcomm Atheros (WiFi) Adapter keeps disappearing from Windows 10

Barney Craggs

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Hi all. I'm having some issues with a new home build that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

The build is essentially an Asus Maximus Hero VIII Alpha with 6600k, 32Gb DDR4, Asus GTX970 and a few disks.

The build went fine and ran for a couple of days then on rebooting the wifi adapter had disappeared. I tried all sorts of fixes from reinstalling Windows to reflashing bioses and eventually (and I wasn't methodical enough to know exactly what made the difference) it worked.

I've been using the machine for a day or two now and Windows has done a few updates, I've installed Viscosity (VPN client) and today the machine came out of sleep for some reason and was properly hung - keyboard and screen non-responsive.

After a hard reboot the adapter had disappeared again BUT there was an entry in the logs for an NDIS event 10317.

I'm utterly stumped now and had no responses at all on the Asus ROG forums and not yet heard back from tech support.

Can anyone shed any light on the issue?

Thanks

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help but it seems like you've done most of the possible steps you can just skip those you've done already.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all the updates available.
- Next is to install the latest BIOS version (1402 released: 2016/01/19)
- Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO_ALPHA/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-ALPHA-ASUS-1402.zip
- Once do uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter.
- Once uninstall in Device Manager, reinstall the wifi adapter.
- Here's the link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/wireless/WIFI_Win7-81-10_V1100601_1200149.zip
- Once installed reboot your PC for all the changes to take effect.

After the reboot do also change Power Options.
- Open Power Options and click on Change plan settings then Change advanced power settings on the next screen.
- Expand Hard disk first then set Turn off hard disk after to Never.
- Expand Sleep and set Allow hyrbid sleep to OFF and set Hibernate after to NEVER.
- Expand Wireless Adapter Settings and set it to Maximum Performance.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Do open Device Manager next and set your keyboard and Mouse to wake up your PC.
- In Device Manager right click on Mouse/Keyboard and select Power Management.
- Make sure there's a check on Allow this device to wake the computer and click OK.