Career change: Back to college, or work on certifications?

_a3ch_

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Hello,

Sorry if this post sounds a bit lazy and too asky, but I would greatly appreciate some advice from people who either have done what I am doing, or just generally know whats up in the "real world".

I am wondering if it would make more sense to go back to school and get a degree in IT, or if I should go for some certifications. I have roughly 10 years experience in IT(only about 2 in a "on the job" capacity, the rest is just general exp) I am not a newb, nor am I a master I am somewhere a bit over a Geek Squad tech (sorry if you work for geek squad) I would say. Like I would confidently be able to do that job, but I wouldn't necessarily be confident setting up an entire server room. I would like to get my foot in the door someplace and just work up within the company or something along those lines, I am just not sure where to start.

If I go back to school, I can have it paid for by with my current job, but it will be at a much slower pace. Alternately I could just study and pay for various certs like the A+ or Net+ and just try and get a job that way.

Again, sorry for the apparent ineptitude. I would just like some advice :)

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Not pointless at all.

Just an interim step that may be more suitable for your current personal, home, work, financial situation, etc..

Not a full committment but progress. Gives you some flexibility if, after working for and earning an AS and some certs, you decide to make a change in your career path. Happens all the time.

The objective is to learn more and gain experience. If you pick a real, meaningful path of any sort to do so, then you win. Maybe not exactly what you want at first but more than if you do not even try.

Ralston18

Titan
Go back to school. Most likely you are beyond gaining any advantages with an A+ or Net+ (no disrepect to anyone having them).

You may even get some credits via your work experience. And if your employer is willing to pay all the better.

Plus, even though you will be busy you could still work on a certification or two: maybe even via some class or self-study program.

Best option is to visit the college or colleges (if you have that option) and see what kind of program you can get into or even setup for yourself.

And if you are selective with your electives you can add to your professional skills via writing classes, speech, finance, etc. type classes.

All will help down the road. Flexibility will be needed.

_a3ch_

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

Thanks for your input. I kind of had a feeling I would have to go the degree route. I guess I just felt while I was working in a non IT related field I would be wasting my time not "earning experience". I guess I thought that if my current experience plus some certifications would open the door. Because to get the free education I'd have to stick this job out for awhile, which is doable I guess. I just don't want to exit all this on the other end in the same boat, but with this time a degree.

Would going for an AS in information technology plus a few certs be pointless or is it BA or bust?

Ralston18

Titan
Not pointless at all.

Just an interim step that may be more suitable for your current personal, home, work, financial situation, etc..

Not a full committment but progress. Gives you some flexibility if, after working for and earning an AS and some certs, you decide to make a change in your career path. Happens all the time.

The objective is to learn more and gain experience. If you pick a real, meaningful path of any sort to do so, then you win. Maybe not exactly what you want at first but more than if you do not even try.

Solution