W10 crashing (freezes) when streaming video

Gid_The_Zen

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I upgraded from w7 to w10 a few weeks ago. Since doing so it crashes what seems like 100% of the time when I stream video from certain sites.

Youtube is fine no problems. But bbc iplayer for instance, within 30 seconds the PC just freezes... no ctrl+alt+del option... the pc is just dead and stuck. I have to manually shut it down and restart it every time.

Other sites I'm trying to stream from have the same problem.

I'm hoping there is a quick fix, update, driver or solution I can find rather than doing a clean install because I'm planning to build a PC soon so don't want to have to go through the clean install and downloading/installing all my programs and losing program data with this PC and then the next one too. I'm going to give this PC to family so will be happy to do the clean install at that stage.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Going into Win10, a few things have to be recognized:

1. OS "upgrades" have always been more problematic than fresh installs. You have a bunch of stuff on there that won't be removed and it may be causing a problem. And remember, by allowing the system to revert "back to your old OS, the amount of stuff still on there is significant.

2. The old IT saying since windows was born was "It's still a beta until SP3". Tho MS tended to release less SP's now rolling what might have been 1, 2 or even 3 SPs into 1, the WU reliance has changed all that. Nevertheless, Win10 is still a "young" OS w/ less than a year under it's belt and that's means there's still has many things left toi be worked out,

3. Win 10 has a new financial model, very much like Google. With no income stream (At least from from the majority of users), MS must replace that income stream with data it can collect and sell. As adoption rates are far lower than expectations, which undoubtedly has impacted that income stream so MS has had to rush through other changes that will push up that adoption rate.

4. The biggest problem so far with Windows 10 system problems is its force feeding of hardware device drivers. The same advice has stood the test of time "Never, ever let Windows install Device Drivers".

a) They have a terrible track record at doing so, "getting it wrong" far too often.
b) When this breaks your system, they do not provide tech Support.

Only use device drivers download from your component manufacturers web site. And if you have a problem, you can call tech support and they will help you solve it.

So that's what I would do:

A: Download all device drivers from the manufacturers web site, uninstall what you have and replace them with latest ones provided by the device manufacturer.

B. Turn off all Windows Update grabbing hardware drivers

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730606%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

C. Turn off Win 10's default behavior for using your PC as a torrent site to download updates to other users.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

D. Turn off all Windows telemetry and tracking activities... well you can not stop all but to the greatest extent possible. Many utilities have been developed to make this process easier. Here's one you might look at:

https://www.safer-networking.org/2015/spybot-anti-beacon-tutorial/

E. This perhaps I should have put first, but as said above, a fresh install is always more trouble free. Ofcourse if you opt for this, the above should be done after the fresh install. Of course if you are still on the fence, and moight go back, to Win 7, this is not an option.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

F. If the problem persists, Event Viewer is the best place to start analyzing your problems. Any warnings or errors massages in the Windows system or application logs should be investigated. Copy pasting the error massage in a web search will usually bring some valid suggestions to the table.

Gid_The_Zen

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for responses. Sounds like I could do with clean installing windows 10. I'll look for links and instructions on doing so while backing up all my data.

System just crashed again when I was streaming some video. Went into event viewer and under the "Error" Event Type this is what i found:

Event ID Source Log Last hour

100 Bonjour Service Application 6
131 DeviceSetupManager Microsoft-Windows 15

These were the 2 highest in the last hour. I don't really ever use itunes so I might as well remove bonjour. Any idea about the other one?

You have identified the component but not what caused it... look at the detail below on the General and Details tab ... something like

The certificate received from the remote server has not validated correctly. The error code is 0x80092013. The SSL connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.

Gid_The_Zen

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks I will do this tomorrow.

Not sure how much this helps but I DLd Mozilla Firefox recently and this seems to be ok with streaming. Haven't used it in years.

Chrome and IE are problematic.