Origin PC EON17-SLX Gaming Laptop First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
It is more expensive than a small form factor box running a 980 without the built in keyboard screen of a laptop. It is aesthetically unattractive as a laptop but with desktop performance that makes it a hard sell to someone wanting a performance laptop. It is a niche product. I would rather have a Razer Blade with the 970m and small form factor mobo running a 980 than having to lug this around.

JamsCB

Honorable
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks for the write up. Very long time lurker, finally posting. When you start the reviews of gaming laptops, please include more portable options. I'm looking for a new gaming laptop now, but most articles I find for the "best gaming laptop" usually list the large "desktop replacement" style laptops. I'm a pilot, and on the road at least half the month, so I don't want something too big or heavy, yet I want one that is powerful. I'm also almost always near a plug if I'm actually gaming, so battery life while gaming isn't a huge concern. I'd appreciate it if you could include a few more reviews for the 15.6" and smaller, thin and light style of gaming laptops.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
IMO the biggest point is missing. FPS and synthetics are to verify that performance is in the same neighborhood. The desktop CPU/GPU is in a VSFF package, ie, temperature and noise should be the main highlights.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
JamsCB: Thanks for this input. We're doing First Looks on a variety of laptops, including ones like you've described, but we're looking for what people eventually want more of. I suspect it's variety, and we'll try to look at all ranges and choices.

Au_equus: We agree. These First Looks don't have that level of testing as noted in the top of the article, but we will be doing that in our reviews, so stay tuned.

alphax45

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
This seems excessive and really niche. Here is my general response when someone says they are looking for a laptop: Why a laptop? Do you NEED it to be portable? IMHO a desktop will always be better in the price/performance area. I always ask people why do you think you need a laptop? Do you really need a portable full fledged computer or do you just want something more casual; a tablet for social and/or media consumption while you sit and watch TV along with a desktop for real computing may be better in many cases. YMMV/IMHO of course.

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Will these sort of laptops run an Oculus. Serious question, since the specs say it will, but oculus also states that what is also important is the direct connection to the video cards for throughput. I use gaming laptops, but also want to get into VR. So not sure if I need to move away from laptops for VR capabilities.

Golfis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
It is more expensive than a small form factor box running a 980 without the built in keyboard screen of a laptop. It is aesthetically unattractive as a laptop but with desktop performance that makes it a hard sell to someone wanting a performance laptop. It is a niche product. I would rather have a Razer Blade with the 970m and small form factor mobo running a 980 than having to lug this around.

I thought the same thing. To my surprise at least when using amazon.de or .fr as a prizing reference, if you try to build a desktop pc that rivals an the 6700k and 980m sli performance, together with a backlit keyboard , a somewhat decent 2.1 speaker setup and the cheapest g-sync panel you can find, the actual price difference becomes almost non existent.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
This seems excessive and really niche. Here is my general response when someone says they are looking for a laptop: Why a laptop? Do you NEED it to be portable? IMHO a desktop will always be better in the price/performance area. I always ask people why do you think you need a laptop? Do you really need a portable full fledged computer or do you just want something more casual; a tablet for social and/or media consumption while you sit and watch TV along with a desktop for real computing may be better in many cases. YMMV/IMHO of course.

when my brother went to college, he refused to listen to me and got a laptop for around 1000$,
my reasoning for why not?
you are taking your full FAR better spec gaming pc to college, do ANY of your classes require a laptop to attend?
in a 2 years he may have classes that do, but nothing first year and probably nothing second year, so he got a 1000$ laptop now which could be completely outclassed in 2 years when he actually needs one because he is a moron.

most of my family moved to tablets for media consumption and light use, but once really work needs to be done they get on an ancient laptop and do it because it simply works better than a tablet does when real work is involved.

personally, i can see the fun in a laptop as a portable media box, emulation box, second pc for when mine is rendering and hitting 100% useage, and emergency backup but i can never bring myself to get one as they are just to expensive for what i get.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I bought a gaming laptop (Asus G75VX, not nearly as beastly as this one), during college. I went back to my parents' place for holidays and some weekends, and I wanted to be able to play games if I wanted while I was there. Plus I had something to bring with me to school when I occasionally needed to, although it was too big to be something you'd bring everyday and take notes in class with. Gaming laptop seemed like the best solution. After I graduated and moved away for good, I sold my laptop, built a desktop, and got a cheap tablet.

I'm not saying that this Origin laptop (and, to some extent, gaming laptops in general) aren't a niche product, and don't usually offer the best value. But there are people for whom gaming laptops really are the best option. I just get annoyed when every article about gaming laptops seems to feature people questioning why anyone would buy one, and often implying that anyone who does did so out of ignorance. There's no need to point out that you can build a more powerful desktop for less money, most people are perfectly aware. Luckily the comments here don't seem to have quite reached that point yet.

That's not to say that some people buying gaming laptops aren't sometimes clueless people who don't seem to understand the concept of value for money. After I bought my G75VX I spent some time on the Asus forum for fellow ROG laptop owners, and I swear there was a new thread everyday with someone talking about RAID0-ing SSDs, or upgrading to 32 GB RAM (for a laptop used only for gaming and casual use).

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
But there are people for whom gaming laptops really are the best option.
While this is true - nowhere is written that a gaming laptop should be that big and heavy( and ugly ). Are the 200 frames with ultra settings, enough to say this is better than something sleek and beautiful and mobile?

MrDMajor

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
There's a growing need for multimedia folks (who also game) to be mobile with their rigs. I've been researching laptops, and while I'd typically spend a lot less to build a desktop I can't afford to be tethered these days.

My main concerns are heat, size of AC brick, display, and thunderbolt 3 and how it will play out in the future. I have investigated Sager, Alienware, Origin, and others for solutions but there is little info out there from sources I trust. I'd love to hear more from Tomshardware on this outside of the "just do desktop" crowd.

Thanks for this.

gaspir324

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Are the 200 frames with ultra settings, enough to say this is better than something sleek and beautiful and mobile?
You cannot get sleek and mobile desktop replacements. It is all physics. I for one prefer to play the games with the max settings. And I don't want to compromise. This is not meant for taking it into class to take notes from your philosophy prof. This is for those who need to be able to get it into class, do some 3D modelling etc. and/or want to play games while travelling due to job or school. This is not obviously for you so why the hate?

anarky321

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
its not comfortable but i lug my 18.4" alienware to class and back....fits inside my messenger bag

please stop comparing DTR's to desktops, mini-pc's and other 'alternatives'

DTR's provide a very unique and irreplaceable solution to many people

personally i wouldn't ever downgrade from an 18.4" laptop to a 17" one but it looks like manufacturers are way more committed to the 17" DTR size class ...that's very unfortunate

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
It came in a crate! Would be awesome if it had some LEDs in the lid or around the touchpad. Do the touchpad buttons have good tactile feedback?
Can you customize it to have a 6820HK mobile CPU instead? A lot less power unless you heavily overclock, but more thermal headroom! Hopefully they'll provide a GPU upgrade path for Pascal, supplying the new heatsink for it.
And hey, since the CPU is socketed, Kaby lake and possibly Cannon lake are possible upgrades in the future.

It's a shame. New mammoth laptops, still less than 100 watt hours of battery. What if, just what if they used the same cells that the Tesla 90KWh pack has?? Probably closer to 115 watt hours for that laptop instead of 89.
Laptop batteries have lower end cells I'm seeing. Even on very high end laptops. EDIT: Well, except Apples. Macbook Pro 15" has a 99.5 Wh battery.

3 hours is really good for that laptop though! Way more than expected. Nvidia Optimus is great along with the desktop processor obviously being able to throttle way down and sleep certain parts of itself. That was the average battery life for a Pentium m laptop or pentium 3 laptop with a new battery, so it's nothing to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.