IPS vs TN Monitor Gamer (WoW) 1ms vs 4ms

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Hi everyone I'm currently in the market for a 27inch monitor 1440p 144hz monitor. My big issue is which one to get as I am having conflicting issues on if I should get an IPS or TN monitor. IPS monitors only go as far as 4ms and the only video games I play are World of Warcraft and possibly in the furture Overwatch (FPS)

Things to consider I do Video edit and Photoshop but not as regularly as i game lol...so its not top priority but i hear you get better results out of IPS screens im not very knowledgeable about such things for color representation.
My budget is around $600 dollars I have 100 bucks credit with Newegg and the President day sales are coming.

Would I notice a difference between 1ms vs 4ms on a game like World of Warcraft when im upgrading from a 60hz to a 144hz?

if anyone has suggestions on what monitors to get I would gladly take them into consideration.

Solution
5ms and down is pretty much the same to non-professional gamers, just affects how long it takes for the pixels on-screen to change color. Most people won't notice a difference, but generally lower response time monitors tend (keyword: tend) to be better overall.

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

Yes I saw that one and was deeply considering it but its an open box but from newegg is probably a good deal.

Generally, TN panels have weaker contrast and worse viewing angles (which exacerbates the contrast) when compared to IPS panels. About the best thing you can do for colour reproduction is to calibrate your screen so that it actually produces accurate colours (e.g. with a ColorMunki). Personally, I have some Dell U2515H's (25" 1440p 6ms), which are fantastic for work & image editing, and absolutely fine for games (Far Cry, Metro 2033/Last Light, STALKER, Anno, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc). I've never seen a 144Hz monitor, so can't really help on that one - some say you can't tell a difference, and others swear by them.

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
My friends last year purchased a 24inch 144hz monitor and its literally a game changer... forget if its 1ms or not im not sure...my slower 5ms monitor is pretty much collecting dust for the next 2 months as I am away from my desktop for Work...but I know its dying so the time to upgrade is unusually close since i upgrade the entire desktop last year...

Im just tired of looking because I cant answer the whole 1ms vs 4ms question because ive never owned a 1ms monitor to know the difference. I certainly already know the gamer changer of 144hz though.

quotemsg=17485249,0,1614836]

Generally, TN panels have weaker contrast and worse viewing angles (which exacerbates the contrast) when compared to IPS panels. About the best thing you can do for colour reproduction is to calibrate your screen so that it actually produces accurate colours (e.g. with a ColorMunki). Personally, I have some Dell U2515H's (25" 1440p 6ms), which are fantastic for work & image editing, and absolutely fine for games (Far Cry, Metro 2033/Last Light, STALKER, Anno, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc). I've never seen a 144Hz monitor, so can't really help on that one - some say you can't tell a difference, and others swear by them.

[/quotemsg]

5ms and down is pretty much the same to non-professional gamers, just affects how long it takes for the pixels on-screen to change color. Most people won't notice a difference, but generally lower response time monitors tend (keyword: tend) to be better overall.

Solution

+1 :)