Self Build PC Win 10 Pro Whole System Freeze, PC restart button does not work

G

Since building my new Desktop PC and installing Windows 10 Pro I have had a rather worrying issue, it has happened about 3 times since January. On each occasion I am doing simple things with the PC nothing taxing on the CPU etc... Suddenly I go to move the mouse and it will not move I assume the mouse is disconnected, but my keyboard does not produce any results either I cant be USB related as the keyboard is a PS/2 port connection.

What is stranger still is that the reset button the the PC tower does nothing, I have to resort to holding the power button down until the whole device shuts off. The reset button does work though normally it only stop functioning when I stumble across this issue. I hate restarting the PC like this because I am adamant it is not good for the lifespan/integrity of the SSD.

My PC specs are:

Intel Core i7 6700K (I do not over clock)
Gigabyte GA-Z170 - Gaming 5 Eu Rv 1.0
Corsair Vengance LPX 4x8gb Configured RAM
Samsung SSd 850 Pro - (OS Drive)
Windows 10 Pro

Any advice would be great thanks or if you've had an issue like this and resolved it and could advise me on what to do???

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all updates available.
- Next is to install the latest BIOS update from Gigabyte.
- Here's the link: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z170x-gaming5_f5h.zip
- Do also make sure that your graphics card has the latest driver installed.
- Once done, do observe your PC again if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work I would suggest reinstalling Windows 10.
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all updates available.
- Next is to install the latest BIOS update from Gigabyte.
- Here's the link: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z170x-gaming5_f5h.zip
- Do also make sure that your graphics card has the latest driver installed.
- Once done, do observe your PC again if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work I would suggest reinstalling Windows 10.

Solution
G

Thanks I will give that A try, I am going to be getting a newer GPU as I am using a GPU form my previous build its an 'AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series' I am looking to buy a 'Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 GAMING 4GB GDDR5'. Do you think it is possible that the older GPU could be causing this?

My rig is primarily for video editing and I am now thinking that it may be the GPU that slowing render times and causing system freezes??

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Also i would try with a different set of ram if available to eliminate ram issues. I have had same kind of symptoms where my PC just randomly froze and the power button didn't work either. The problem with my PC was issues with my ram and after i got some new it didn't freeze up any longer.

G

That would be strange if it was as the Ram that I purchased for this new build is new and it is configured (4x8 gb)?