Start menu not working and a possible hard drive corruption

CosmicRustle

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
Ok so I've got a real mix of issues here, which is really irritating.
I've got the stupid start menu bug where it doesn't work and the icons at the bottom right don't work either.
But also I've encountered loads of little issues such as:

• Chrome just fully stopped working. Needed to reinstall
    Avast doesnt work anymore
    Running at 100% disk pretty much constantly
    SLOW
    All Win10 apps just don't work anymore (the pdf reader etc.)

So I've tried a lot of stuff. I've done the sfc /scannow many times and also done chkdsk c: /r but nothing works to fix any of the errors.

Then I did some powershell commands such as -RestoreHealth which fixed the 100% disk but nothing else

Also, there's no system restore points on the pc! So that's not an option.
And it won't let me refresh/reset even if I use my Windows 8 disks and I have no idea why

Please help

Solution
Hi there CosmicRustle,

The first thing you really should do, is to just back up the important data stored on the drive.
After that, you can try something simple as just attaching the drive with different cables(both SATA and power ones) to another SATA port.

In case the issue persists, you can test it with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

The results should show you the overall health status of the drive. Unfortunately, my bet would be that there are some bad sectors on the drive. Look for pending/reallocated/uncorrectable sectors.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there CosmicRustle,

The first thing you really should do, is to just back up the important data stored on the drive.
After that, you can try something simple as just attaching the drive with different cables(both SATA and power ones) to another SATA port.

In case the issue persists, you can test it with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

The results should show you the overall health status of the drive. Unfortunately, my bet would be that there are some bad sectors on the drive. Look for pending/reallocated/uncorrectable sectors.

Let me know how this goes,

Solution

CosmicRustle

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Could you explain this a bit more please? Also thanks for quick reply

Do you have a desktop PC or a laptop?
In case you have a desktop computer, you can attach the drive with different cables to a different SATA port. That way, you will rule out the possibility that all of this is caused by faulty cables or port.
You will need SATA + power cable.

If this doesn't work and you see that the issue persists, it would be clear that this is not connection related. Then you can check out the drive's health status with one of the tools in the link.

Yet again, it is advisable to back up the crucial data until you sort this out.

CosmicRustle

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Ok turns out I may have fixed it. I made a new user which fixed the start menu error and seems to be working fine. Maybe it wasn't a corruption. I used the software you said and they all said healthy on my drive. Thanks