How to set up TV as your desktop monitor?

Solution
IT WORKS!! HAHAH

Such a stupid error it was from me. I have an Active HDMI cable (for 3D) and there is a difference which end goes to which device. In my case, I had the Input side connected to my TV, when the Input should have been connected to my GPU. No wonder my TV received no signal, because technically the HDMI cable was transmitting from TV to PC, when it should be PC transmitting to TV of course.

Thanks everyone for helping. Now it's time to game some!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

warhead0

Distinguished
Ensure the TV is on the correct channel (pretty obvious)

Ensure the HDMI cable to firmly connected at both ends, try re-connecting the cable too. (this has gotten me before)

You might have to restart the PC, for some reason. (it's worked before)

Hopefully that helps a little.

warhead0

Distinguished
I've had trouble in the past with a laptop not wanting to display to a TV. I don't know exactly how I fixed it, it kinda fixed itself.

I just kept unplugging and plugging the HDMI back into the laptop, and eventually the TV just came to life.

Just don't give up I get the feeling the same thing is happening to you.

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Man this is one horrible day. No tech is working lol.. have had trouble with cpu liquid cooler and then difficulty setting up an xbox controller to pc and now this!

Yeah I'll just keep trying and I'll report back if I find a solution.

EDIT
Is this a note book?

old post

Select HDMI as your input(it may be HDMI2/HDMI3/ect) depending on the TV's number of ports.

Ensure you are connecting to the right HDMI port on the computer. If you have a dedicated video card make sure you are using that.
288m4om.jpg

If you already have a Monitor installed, you will have to enable to TV and make it primary. This can be done in your video cards software or Windows(Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display -> Screen Resolution). Alternatively you can hold Start and press P to cycle options(most likely you will use Projector only).

If you plan to only use the TV and currently have a monitor connected, just shut down and disconnect your monitor. On the next start the TV should get the signal(input selected).

Hi

Well actually just two days ago brought down my gaming desktop and plugged it into the HD TV to play hearthstone (Which was brill), i literally just plugged it in and it would not display so i just fiddled with the HDMI plugged into the GPU till the screen flickered and it displayed.. for some reason TV's for me have been really sensitive with HDMI cables.

When i got onto my desktop it showed my resolution as 1080p straight of the bat as the TV is 1080p and my audio showed the TV's name and that it was using NVidia HD Audio.

Wolfshadw

Titan
More than likely, this is a TV/PC resolution mis-match. The TV cannot display the resolution the PC is outputting through the HDMI output. The easiest way to resolve this is to connect a normal computer monitor to the PC using another output (DVI/VGA) and get that display working. Then, connect the PC to the TV and boot the system back up. With luck, the PC will still display your desktop on the monitor and you can then set up the HDTV as a secondary display and try different resolutions until you find one that works.

If you have additional questions, please provide us with some component model numbers for the PC/Graphics Card and the TV.

-Wolf sends

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Hey everyone thanks for answers.

I have now tried alot of things, Windows button + P, changed the resolution of my 1440p monitor to 1080 (same as hdtv) and also been looking around in the nvidia control panel.

My desktop recognizes my Sony HDTV but somehow is acting weird, like options are greyed out, it will not let me choose it as primary display etc!

No matter what I do my TV says there is no signal.

I do have a 1080p old monitor lying around here, ill try to connect it first and then try to connect TV. Thanks!

EDIT: @nuke, it is not a notebook, its a desktop pc im trying to connect to TV

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Ok I switched monitor to good old 1920x1080 (same as the tv).

It makes no difference. I have tried every setting in Windows + P, pulled hdmi's in and out multiple times, rebooted pc and tv multiple times, manually set resolution to 1080p, been to Nvidia control panel in the multiple displays -section, set the TV to primary/secondary and otherwise just tried all the options. TV is saying nothing but "NO SIGNAL"´. PC recognizes the TV but it seems TV does not understand jackshit no matter what I do

I am using a 980Ti and TV is Sony KDL-75W855C 75" Smart Android LED

Wolfshadw

Titan
Go back to NVidia Control Panel and under Set Up Multiple Displays, make sure both your display and HDTV are enabled (checked). Now click on the Change Resolution tree. Under Select the display you would like to change, first, make sure both displays are showing and then make sure the HDTV is selected.

Under Apply the following settings, make sure Connector shows as HDMI, the resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 and the refresh rate is set to 60Hz (or 50 depending on your location).

If this does not work, then try some different refresh rates (if possible, mine only shows 60hz). Also try some custom resolutions/refresh rates.

I know how frustrating this can be. I had to go through the same thing connecting my HTPC to my Olevia 232T.

-Wolf sends

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015

Thanks man

I'll see what I can do tomorrow, will keep u updated, thanks

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Alright I've tried every trick in the book.. fiddled around with different settings for hours, tried literally everything!!

TV still says there is no signal, check the cable, switch to correct input on TV etc. I have tried it all. The HDMI cable is right out of the box brand new so I don't think its broken really.

My PC recognizes the TV but it's like the TV doesn't understand what my graphics card is trying to tell it.

Could it be that it just doesn't work? Some kind of mismatch? My 980Ti is running the latest drivers and it probably begun manifacturing later than my TV.. No idea?

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
IT WORKS!! HAHAH

Such a stupid error it was from me. I have an Active HDMI cable (for 3D) and there is a difference which end goes to which device. In my case, I had the Input side connected to my TV, when the Input should have been connected to my GPU. No wonder my TV received no signal, because technically the HDMI cable was transmitting from TV to PC, when it should be PC transmitting to TV of course.

Thanks everyone for helping. Now it's time to game some!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

Solution

5tan

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
See, square plug, round hole !!! lmao.. I hate things like this, keep me baffled for a long time then all of a sudden I no longer need to spend silly money. Glad you got it.