Discussion: Nvidia Pascal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Community,

As most of you know, Pascal is a big thing that's coming up soon. Many of you like to discuss it's future release date, rumors, theorized performance etc.

But, I've seen a few threads "hijacked" from regular QNA threads to full on discussion threads reguarding this topic. This thread should fix that mess and gather more people around to discuss pascal. :)

So by all means, use this thread to discuss pascal and anything related to it to your hearts content!!!

A quick reminder: DO NOT start or get involved in flame wars on Tom's Hardware, you will be at risk of a ban if you do so. Also, remember to keep everything civil.

Thank you!

mr91

Distinguished

Hopefully everybody will move to these thread...

I'll take your 980 tis if you don't mind, after you upgrade. :p

I wonder what the TDPs will be on the new cards. Hopefully it's significantly lower just like the jump from Kepler to Maxwell.

I wonder how much of a jump in performance there will be for cards that don't need PCIe power connections. I'd be all over something like that with the power of a GTX960, or even a GTX950.
If it's a single-slot low profile, I may need a bib.

@TechyInAZ, I'll get back to you about the 980 Ti's ;-)

My fear is that Nvidia will raise the TDP requirement with the Pascal replacement of the 980 Ti. That would be a bummer because I have two 850 watt PSU's and I selected that wattage with two of those cards in mind. It has occurred to me that a 1,000 watt PSU may be more appropriate for the 1080 Ti, but I hope not.

I hope you know that was a joke, but hey, i'm all ears if your willing...

With pascal needed to bring enough performance to the table for 4k gaming, I can see the TDP being increased also. :(

Yeah, my hope is that two of the new cards is enough horse power for one 4K display @ 60 FPS or three 1440p displays @ 144 Hz; I'm not confident of the latter.

LOL. Of course. It was obviously a joke and also funny.

I can't wait to see how well it performs. But honestly, the reason AMD fell behind, is due to all the people that bought them leaving a high demand, and they weren't even gaming...

Where I live, Pascal is extremely likely to be way more expensive than the AMD equivalent, so that's probably where my money goes. If it really comes out in summer, I'll wait and then make up my mind.

I don't know any reliable sources yet, and a lot can change until then. If manufacturing goes wrong, then obviously we're not getting them by summer. And if demand is too high, then there really isn't any winner between the two, just which one is cheapest at the time of upgrading.

For instance, the R9 390 is 15% less than a GTX 970, so over here NVIDIA has always been more expensive. 15% isn't much though, but it's still a weaker card none the less, so no reason to buy the GTX 970, unless I want Shadowplay.

My current system:

FX 6300 4.8

GTX 660

8 GB 1600

My expectations are low in games and I'm doing more VFX than gaming, but one day I'll upgrade. Hopefully the new NVIDIA cards are worth it.

It would be cool if we changed the title to Upcoming GPU's AMD NVIDIA 2016 or something like that. I'm probably going to go off topic a lot. :)

All the best!

It's interesting. The biggest topic in this forum is the GTX 970 vs the R9 390, and the argument is always the same. GTX 970 is a killer performing card but has a $50 premium. R9 390 has 8 GB of VRAM and hence is more "future proof" than the 970's 3.5 GB. But here is one point that recently occurred to me, while watching a PC Perspective podcast. Those guys were discussing the likelihood of AMD still being around as a company within the next 3-5 years. A light bulb went off above my mind, and I realized it's a very real possibility that AMD may either not survive or will be acquired by another company. The 8 GB of VRAM no longer makes me super secure that it's a more future-proof card. Don't get me wrong, I hope AMD survives, because otherwise, it'll be bad for the rest of us GPU consumers.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

if you live in a 3rd world country , where power is not cheap the difference from a 280w card to a 150w card is massive. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_r9_390_pcs_8gb_review,8.html.

so no.

The best suggestion I can offer is take any marketing claims with a large sack of salt. Wait at least until engineering samples (shipping versions would of course be better) have been benchmarked before making any decisions.

I am extremely skeptical 0f pascal while i am certain it will be better to push a 10 fold increase over say a 980ti it just seems like pie in the sky. Not to mention even with better spreading of cpu threads over multiple cores you would need a huge increase in cpu strength to push this. I have a feeling it will be more power use orientated like watts to performance with the max performance not being close to 10x what we have now.

I hope NVidia doesn't make the same mistake it made with the GTX 970 again (the 3.5gb issue that went to court).

If AMD is to be bought out, it will definantly be Microsoft buying it. I've heard several rumors already that Microsoft might try buying AMD some time in the near future.

That makes sense, but the power consumptions are still similar when overclocked. Besides, AMD's new cards are supposed to be a lot more efficient, hopefully right behind the newer NVIDIA.

mr91

Distinguished

The Pascal architecture is up to 10x faster than Maxwell at deep learning which is compute based...

My guess is if the rumors are true and the Pascal Titan comes out it will be about as fast as 2x 980 ti's in SLI for gaming..

Wow that's fast! But it will be perfect for 4k.

Metalwell

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Hello all! I was wondering if there anything announced regarding pricing? Or ıs there any idea of yours. I can buy a 970 atm but Want to get a pascal, how much the price would change?

Mid 2016 to late 2016 is the predated arival of Pascal. However, keep in mind that only one or two GPUs will be coming out at launch (those usually being the top end models), so the mid/higher ranging Pascal GPUs could be an extra 2 months away from the official launch.

Price wise, it will most likely be the same, give or take $50.

I'm wondering how good the F@H performance will be on the desktop parts, 10x better than Maxwell would be gobsmacking! :lol:

mr91

Distinguished

Absolutely!

Nohuhhu

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
Just wondering what kinda cards those will be. Because thinking about buying the new Titan variant when Pascal comes out instead of buying another msi 980ti , since i have one allready but dont wanto dump money on other one of those if the new "titan" pascal variant will be much better compared to single 980ti.

If Pascal is that much more powerful, then at least initially, it will be priced accordingly, otherwise it immediately obsoletes multiple prior generations, which will be stuck on shelves forever unless they're sold at a big loss.

Nohuhhu

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

This makes me sad in away because that would be still not horrible after all here titan x costs around 1500 usd atm(around 1200-1300€) And MSI 980 Ti that i bought few months ago was around 1000-1100 usd (880€)

But ofc some of it is taxes and the market in US is so much bigger that the competition is so huge that thats why every thing is alot cheaper there. Not many items overall are even close to the prices here.

One thing was funny when i bought 2002 Nissan 350Z that was imported from US. It was year 2011 when i bought it second hand and it was more expensive than it was originally in US as a new car. I payed 22 000 € which is around 25 000 usd and in the original sale papers the original owner had payed around 20 000-25 000 usd(20 000€) when it was new. But major factor specially in cars is taxes and ofc the small market so theres not so much competition here. After all only 5 million ppl live here and welfare country so taxes are much higher. Even though avarage salary is around the same even though its little bit more evenly spread so there are not so many super rich ppl on avarage compared to Us.

Status
Not open for further replies.