Is windows 10 better for gaming?

NotHimAgain

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
So i have a r9 390 ( soon ill have two in crossfire). Should i upgrade to windows 10? I heatd there were issues with amd drivers especially crossfire? Are those issues resolved?

Solution
It seems that the vast majority of games do not differ at all in terms of performance between the two operating systems, and if they do, its usually pretty negligible (1 or 2 fps either side). Early issues appear to have been ironed out by this point.

Some people report FPS increases, some decreases but nothing significant. I for one havent noticed any real differences after going from Win7 to Win10, then back to 7 and back to 10 again a few months later.

The one important thing is DX12 support. While there arent any mainstream games that run on DX12 right now, it will become an important factor in the near future as it allows developers to get more out of your hardware than previous version did.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i dual boot win 7 and win 10 on a couple of pc's and was surprised to notice that i am seeing 4-5 fps more when in win 10 than in win 7. all things being equal like game settings and such and of course it is the exact same pc just different OS.

nothing scientific other than simply watching the fps counter as i played but i normally see a few extra fps when in win 10. this is over a few different systems so it is not specific to just one.

this and a $1.50 will get you a nice cold coke but for what it is worth i'm pleasantly surprised by this myself :)

Gallarian

Distinguished
It seems that the vast majority of games do not differ at all in terms of performance between the two operating systems, and if they do, its usually pretty negligible (1 or 2 fps either side). Early issues appear to have been ironed out by this point.

Some people report FPS increases, some decreases but nothing significant. I for one havent noticed any real differences after going from Win7 to Win10, then back to 7 and back to 10 again a few months later.

The one important thing is DX12 support. While there arent any mainstream games that run on DX12 right now, it will become an important factor in the near future as it allows developers to get more out of your hardware than previous version did.

Solution