How to know what motherboards will fit my case?

XRobo

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Im updating my entire computer mobo, processor,etc. Im trying to start with the mobo cause from my understanding, correct me if im wrong, thats the base of what will be compatible. I have a HP G71-340us. I know ATX is a standard size but what is mine and how would i find that out? My second question is for the processor, how would i find what socket i have and what processor would be compatible? Im trying to go to a DDR3 or DDR4 mobo and a intel i5 processor.

well, if you're upgrading stuff, then maybe you want to start with a decent motherboard?

In general, motherboards with similar function come in multiple form factors, but perhaps with different numbers of peripheral connections. From largest (most connections) to smallest, the form factors are

CEB/SSI
EATX
ATX
Micro-ATX
Mini-ITX

So decide what you want to configure, what type of processor you would like and then see a motherboard that will accommodate that and near-term (1-2 years) expansions, perhaps.

Then choose a case that will hole those components and appeals to you.

XRobo

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016

I want to get an ASRock z97 and a intel i5 processor but i dont know how to find out what case size have in my laptop. Ive tried looking for in depth specs and i cant find anything.