Windows 10 version 1151 won't install, MBR disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiB0rG

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
So, I didn't have any trouble installing Windows 10 or updating until version 1151 came out. After a large number of tries I found out that it refuses to install because my Windows is on an MBR disk and not GPT. The disk has only 1 single partition with 1024KB offset. The HDD was brand new and it is a clean installation of Windows 10. Until today I had no clue that a thing like GPT/MBR disk existed and I have no idea why would my disk be MBR if Windows refuses to upgrade on it and yet I haven't done that myself. I tried booting in both Legacy and UEFI mode nad nothing changed. I have used this PC for about 6 months and there are tons of software and settings that would take ages to build back up if I was to do a clean installation, but the failed updates message popping randomly now and then is extremely annoying and I hate having issues with my PC anyway. So is there any way that I could convert my Disk into a GPT, allowing Windows to start updating again, without wasting hours upon hours of work to set up my system back up?

CiB0rG

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

I'm sorry for the delayed (by a lot) answer, but I had been looking for a fix for a while and gave up at that point. So, trying to upgrade to 1511 through Windows Update failed miserably hundreds of times and told me that "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware.".

Failing the update seems to be pretty common, so I tried installing the .cab manually using DISM with CMD and I'm getting the 0x800f081e which means my system is not compatible with the selected .cab file, according to Microsoft.

So, according to multiple people all over forums online, this is due to a HDD issue - the MBR disk setting. So, every result I got stated that but none of them offered a fix that would allow me to keep my Windows, my settings and software.

And, as pissed as I am right now, because of wasting the last 10 hours in reading through forums looking for a fix for 2 issues, if you don't agree with MBR being the problem, I'd gladly hear what you think the problem (and the possible solution for it) is.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are the specs of your machine so we can help you figure this out?

Curious how you managed to clean install win 10 onto a MBR disc since it is meant to refuse to do that. I ran into the forced conversion on my last install of win 10, it flat refused to install until i deleted all my old partitions. Wonder if its something they changed since November as hard drives refusing to boot cause their bios suddenly swapped settings overnight seems to happen a lot.

CiB0rG

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

I honestly still haven't put the effort in learning what the difference between MBR and GPT is, or maybe I forgot already, but I installed Windows on a brand new 500GB HDD, I literally ripped the package, put the HDD in the PC and installed. Everything was fine until this update came out and googling the error I found out about that being a possible issue.

Specs:
MB: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer (2203 BIOS, 31.03.16)
CPU: intel i7-4790k, air cooled with a CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 OC edition
RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz
HDD: 2x500(465)GB HDD - one is Toshiba, the other one is Hitachi, I believe. Both are SATA 3.
PSU: CM G750M

Update: I actually got so pissed today that I'm kinda slowly preparing for a clean Windows installation - gathering all the software I'd need and writing down settings I must not forget to change and so on and on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Whereas GPT is limited by size of drive and number of partitions, GPT allows 256 tb partitions, and a max number of 128 partitions per drive. It will be a long time before that becomes a restriction

MBR only has 1 copy of boot record, GPT drives have back up copies all over drive. - less chance of disasters.

http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

I almost got the pro gamer, and only have an I5 but our pc virtually identical outside drives. Different PSU as well.

You would need to do a clean install as no way to convert from mbr to gpt without deleting the parttion.

Honestly, the easiest way I think would be buy a 250 gb ssd and just clean install win 10 onto that. Then copy everything you want to keep onto it off HDD and then use the hdd as backup. My storage drive isn't GPT, the entire pc doesn't have to be GPT, just boot drive. I think you will need to format the win 10 install on it as it may confuse the boot order having two win 10 installs on the pc.

CiB0rG

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

It's very likely I'll be doing that eventually, as apparently my Windows is screwed. So, how do I make the MBR disk into a GPT prior to installing Windows again on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.