Desktop Freezing; Only one program works at a time

Khesh

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
So, beginning the other day my computer has been having this problem where everything becomes unresponsive except for whatever I currently have open.

To explain: When I start up my computer, if I first open up an internet browser, I can no longer click on anything on the desktop or taskbar or anything. If I have multiple programs open, such as my browser, Skype, and Steam, only one of them will ever work. Clicking on any of the others does nothing, and Alt-Tabbing will take me to the different programs, but only one is ever responsive at a time.

A temporary fix (i.e. a 15 second fix) is to CTRL-ALT-Delete into Task Manager, which for some reason allows all the programs to once again work. However, whichever one I go into for more than 10 seconds, that one becomes the only one to work, and the problem persists.

I've done two system restores, but they solved nothing. I even updated to Windows 10 to try and fix it, but no luck. My hope is to not have to do a full factory reset.

If any of you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Have you scanned for malware/viruses lately? Also, have you installed anything (hardware or software) just prior to this problem occurring?

Khesh

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

The only programs have been games through Steam. I have not scanned for viruses lately, though it seems odd that it would work perfectly throughout the day, then it would randomly have these problems after leaving the computer alone for a few hours. I'll be sure to scan it though.