Best triple monitor setup for two 980 tis in SLI?

zombcb

Honorable
Jan 30, 2016
I have two 980 tis running in SLI and was thinking about getting three Dell S2716DGs. I was told that most games would only be able to run at 20ish fps in surround at this resolution while on ultra. If that's the case, what's my best bet for a triple display setup with these cards? I'd ideally like to be able to run at 60+ fps

Solution
Well at the moment I'm thinking of getting an easy 28' 4k monitor with freesync. For around 700AUD.
Although for you, it seems like you want something more ;) Something with a wowfactor, especially to get your money's worth with 2 GTX 980ti's.

For me freesync/gsync is a good selling point, I've seen some gsync monitors and personally I like them.
Say if you have a 50hz monitor, but your PC runs your games at 120fps. What gsync/freesync does is let's your PC run without capping fps, so no input lag of your mouse/keyboard. + it also eliminates screen tearing. It also eliminates frame skipping. So at a lower framerate can make it seem smoother.

Well if you still feel like it, what you can do is
1. buy a 4k monitor
2. buy 2 1440p...

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Well with 3 1440p monitors, you would be running higher than 4k, closer to 6k definition. You could probably do a game at around 50ish FPS at that resolution.
However for most demanding games such as witcher 3 and other newer releases. You probably won't be able to manage even over 50fps.

If you really have to have a 3 monitor setup, 3 1080p screens would be good and you'll easily get over 60fps. However you are under 4k.
Have you considered getting a single ultrawide monitor? Such as the Acer predator X34, or even a single very nice 4k monitor.

-good luck

zombcb

Honorable
Jan 30, 2016

I was actually heavily considering the Predator x34 but I keep hearing about terrible QC issues and I really don't want to have to deal with scan lines on a $1400 monitor. I actually went through two XR341CKs that I had to return due to awful coil whine. That's why I started to think going the triple monitor route might be the way to go. Guess not though... What would you do? I don't think amazon will let me keep returning monitors forever

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
ah, that's quite unlucky with the Acer XR341CK's. Although some people are complaining about the wine.

Have you had a look at Dell ultrasharps? Such as this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260239&cm_re=dell_ultrasharp-_-24-260-239-_-Product

I personally would rather go a single high resolution ultrawide monitor, instead of 3 monitors. Unless you're happy with reduced settings at 3x1440p monitors ;)
It's still personally up to you. With the Dell S2716DG's you were thinking of getting, If you're under 60fps G-sync should smooth it out anyway. Over 30fps should still feel smooth with Gsync.
It also depends what games you like to play.
Now you've got me wondering which would look better... I still prefer a single great monitor, 3 monitors does have good peripheral vision in FPS, but to me personally it feels more distracting. It feels amazing in 3rd person games though.

That's my thoughts.
Do you have a local store that you can go to, to see a little demo?

With the x34, after looking around at some reviews alot of people seem to be complaining about backbleed and lines when Gsync is on.

zombcb

Honorable
Jan 30, 2016

Yeah, definitely caught between a rock and a hard place here. I'd definitely prefer to use one monitor at max settings too. I was interested in that Dell as well, actually, but it's the lack of g-sync that's an instant turn off for me. That was another reason the XR341CK had to go back, too much stuttering in games even with adaptive v-sync on.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and play the X34 lottery after all haha. What monitor do you have, by the way? You don't see stuttering without-sync/freesync?

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Well at the moment I'm thinking of getting an easy 28' 4k monitor with freesync. For around 700AUD.
Although for you, it seems like you want something more ;) Something with a wowfactor, especially to get your money's worth with 2 GTX 980ti's.

For me freesync/gsync is a good selling point, I've seen some gsync monitors and personally I like them.
Say if you have a 50hz monitor, but your PC runs your games at 120fps. What gsync/freesync does is let's your PC run without capping fps, so no input lag of your mouse/keyboard. + it also eliminates screen tearing. It also eliminates frame skipping. So at a lower framerate can make it seem smoother.

Well if you still feel like it, what you can do is
1. buy a 4k monitor
2. buy 2 1440p monitors.
Then when you can run, you can run the 4k monitor at 1440p. So you can go 3x 1440p monitors.
However when the game is too demanding, or just not great at 3x1440p, then you can drop the other 2 monitors and run at 4k on one monitor ;)
That's another option.

-good luck

Solution