Laptop Unbearably Slow

savataro

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Hello,
I recently reinstalled my OS (for the billionth time) and after using the laptop for a day or two (mainly playing ONE game and browsing), after I turned it on, it had become unbearably slow- it takes about 10-20 minutes for it to boot, after which +5 minutes after you click on something, because it becomes irresponsive, freezes and eventually does nothing...it took 5 minutes for the pc to respond to right-clickimg a desktop icon and about twice as much to open up Task Manager...tried opening the start menu, no success... The only thing I've done with the hardware is swapping a 4gb ram module with 1x8gb one, but I doubt this is the case, since I had no problem with it when I firstly installed it...I also reinstalled the OS, which didn't give any results...ran the Windows Memory diagnostic tool, I was given no errors, same goes after executing the 'chkdsk c:' command...

savataro

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

It's a lenovo y510p...it's more than two years now...it has had a number of problems now, including one of the RAM slots not working at all, but I still need it working for another month or so... I just saw that after a big amount of time (from about since I wrote the original thread until this post of mine), the laptop works relatively well for a while... even though everything crashes in a certain moment...

savataro

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Nope, wouldn't say so... Task manager shows low CPU and RAM usage, but high Disk usage most of the time, but it's been usual...

savataro

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Haven't had such a problem with Windows 8.1, which was preinstalled on the laptop...I make clean installs of Win 10 every time. It also gives me "Scanning and repairing drive (\\?\Volume{*stuff here*})"... It even gives me a hard time opening File Explorer (about 10 minutes, excluding the time it freezes and stops responding)

savataro

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

I'm not sure if I want to go through the downgrading process, especially after clean installing 10...thus, I'd like to use it later on, it just won't be my primary pc