Random low buzzing noise from headphone

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Ever since I installed Win10 I started hearing a random low buzzing noise coming from my headphone. It is connected to an amplifier which in turn is connected to the green back jack of the motherboard. My motherboard is an old Pc Chps from 2008 but I had the same problem when I had a newer Asus one before. And it only happens on Windows 10.

What could it be? By the way I've always used the onboard sound and the buzzing mostly happens during games.

Solution

If maxing out the volume sliders don't help, you'll need to either get new headphones or a new amp
Most likely Windows 10 is just coincidental, and the actual issue is your GFX card drawing too much energy and your PSU losing voltage stability, or your amp just reaching the end of it's life. Check the amp with other devices and on-board sound without the amp. Most likely it's voltage stability issues, especially if you have a fairly new nvidia card in that rig.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I have an old nVidia GT630 2GB DDR3. It's really no big deal, it's quite weak when it comes to games anyway. And I have a 500W generic PSU which I don't believe to be the root of the problem. But if it is, other than replacing it, what else can I do?

As for the amp it's only a year and a half old and it's a quality one. I'll try connecting my headphone straight into the motherboard and see what happens anyways.

Nothing that's cheaper, a decent tier 1 PSU with ~500W will only cost you $50-75, while a sound card capable of smoothing out power problems will likely be more than that.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Ok, I've followed your advice and plugged my headphone straight into the motherboard and so far I haven't heard any buzzing. I guess it was the amplifier that was on its last legs.
The problem now is that the sound coming straight from the motherboard is too low. Do you know a solution to this software wise?

If maxing out the volume sliders don't help, you'll need to either get new headphones or a new amp

Solution