I built a desktop but nothing is showing up on the screen when I turn the computer on.

Feb 15, 2016
Hi,

This is my first time building a computer by the way so if you could please explain things as if I didn't know anything, then that would be appreciated. I checked the manual but it has no explanation for this issue. I really appreciate any clarification you can provide. The computer definitely turns on and I can see many components definitely working when it is on. I'm using an hdmi cable that connects to an LED TV.

Some extra details:

I'm using a Gigabyte GAZ170 UD5 Motherboard in a Carbide 200R series case. The CPU is an Intel 6600k processor. The battery works (its an EVGA Supernova 750 B2).

Thank You,
God's Neglected Idiot

Feb 15, 2016
I've physically installed the CPU (Intel 6600k), Cooling Fan, RAM (16 GB 3200 DDR4), Graphics Card (Sapphire r9 380 compact), Battery, SSD, Optical Drive, and of course the motherboard. It can technically support Thunderbolt but you need an additional card for that. I tried plugging the HDMI into my GPU port but it still shows nothing even though the GPU is working.

Feb 15, 2016
Per your suggestion I checked the RAM. They are in the DDR1 and 3 slots (which are consecutive slots) and are part of channel B. Do they need to be part of channel A? I tried taking out the RAM in the DDR3 slot but no dice unfortunately. Is it possible the motherboard is defective? I just read that some people were complaining about this exact issue with this motherboard.

I have no idea what slots they should be in. The manual will say what slots you should install 2 sticks in

Do you have the gaming 7 mobo?.

The other one I posted does have TB onboard

I cant see a mobo with GAZ170 UD5 in it except for the TH and the Gaming 7

Thank You,
God's Neglected Idiot

Lol.....at least you figured it out. Most of us haven't figured out we are idiots yet.

I usually recommend new builders start dirt cheap for their first build, if possible. Too many rookie builders make huge mistakes with expensive hardware. Best to make those mistakes on cheaper hardware. Fortunately, this doesn't seem like a huge problem, at least at first glance.

Check and see if video is coming from the onboard video chips. I have seen scenarios where the card wasn't being properly detected and onboard video was in use. So check both and report back.

Thats what the manual says not me 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 for 2 sticks

Feb 15, 2016
I tried removing the stick in slot #3 and just seeing if it would work with one slot filled only and it did not work. Unfortunately the way I set up the fan I would literally have to unscrew it and then reposition it completely in order to put RAM in the other slots but it wouldn't logically make sense for that to make a difference considering the one slot "test".

Feb 15, 2016
I should probably add when I turn on the computer it starts up with the mobo lighting up and the cooling fan spinning. Within a second the GPU starts working but yet no video output. Then the mobo stops lighting up and the fan stops too. After a few seconds both start back up again and this cycle just repeats itself.

Feb 15, 2016

I'm probably gonna end up doing that, sigh, hopefully its something minor that I missed.

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Hello ,
Could try to connect PC monitor on the DVI port to see if the Video card have any signal, you could do the same of DVI port on the MB. One more think when you power up the PC do you hear any sounds for errors (that ofc you will need to have speaker connect to your MB or in your case you should have some number on the error display on the MB) the could indicate what is the issue. Just advice for you even the fans are turning that don`t mean the components is working that mean MB is power up the fans correct check all the wires are connect where they should be.

Feb 15, 2016
So I tried again and I think my RAM is just not compatible with this MOBO cause there's an error message (it shows the number 55) on the MOBO. I don't know why it isn't compatible (its the G.Skill 3200 MhZ DDR4 RAM model#F4-3200C16D-16GVRB) cause its excellent RAM but now I'm gonna have to buy slightly lower quality RAM (that is listed on the Memory supported pdf on Gigabyte's website) to see if that will work. If that doesn't then I can definitely say the MOBO is the problem.

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I check for similar issues and i think i found one http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16715.0

Check this post that may work for you too and if it does you dont need to buy new ram

"I'd bet what happened to you is the same thing that happened to me. I've got a very similar motherboard and I kept getting the same error code 55. This is what I built:

GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 (Rev 1.0)
i5-6600k
2x8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400
EVGA 1050W PSU

I was able to test those RAM modules in a server and they worked, so it was not an issue with the modules. My guess was on the 2133mhz socket and the 2400mhz modules (which are in the compatible RAM list, but anyway).

And I was right. I got another memory kit 2x4gb G.Skill RipJaws IV DDR4 2133

I specifically wanted to try with the smallest & slowest RAM to maximize compatibility, so I went for those.

I put a single 4gb G.Skill RipJaws IV DDR4 2133, and BINGO! it worked. I got into the Bios setup, Bios version was F2.

I tried 2x4gb G.Skill RipJaws IV DDR4 2133, it worked.
I changed the RAM frequency multiplier from "Auto" to "21.33" which fix the memory speed to 2133mhz, then removed the Gs.Skill modules and tried with 8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400, IT WORKED! Also two of those worked together.

Went back to the bios, the bios was reading those modules as 2400mhz (and it even recognized that they had an XMP profile) but forced to run at 2133mhz by my previous configuration. Tried to switch back to auto > Code 55 AGAIN! (with the XMP profile switched off & with the XMP profile switched on).

Back to G.Skill, back to fixed 2133 speed, back to the Crucials, it worked again. So far as long as I didn't reset the CMOS, it was working.

I tried running all four modules at the same time, it worked. In order to do that, at least in "Auto" speed setting, the G.Skill 2133 had to be in DIMM1 (red), then another G.Skill 2133 in the other red socket and the two Crucial 2400 in the black sockets.

Then I updated the bios to the latest version F4. Nothing changed, all tests produced the same results as before.

Right now I'm running all four modules with a total of 24GB and they are running at 2133mhz. The only way I managed to run the Crucial 2400 modules is by forcing the bios to run the memory at 2133, either by fixing the memory speed or by putting the 2133 module in the first slot.

However, in order to get this system working, I see no way of doing it without buying 2133mhz DDR4 as I did or at least borrowing from someone else. They problem is that if you don't keep that 2133mhz ram, as soon as you clear CMOS, your system won't start anymore (because it will go back to the default "auto" speed for RAM").

I'll contact tech support to make them aware of this issue so they can release a new Bios version to fix this."

TRENDING THREADS