2-way SLi, 3 monitors, UWQHD

bytemunchr

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Hello all!
I have some questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to,

I currently have 2 EVGA GTX970 FTW's installed driving a Gsync Acer x34 Predator (3440x1440) at 100hz with a DisplayPort Cable.

So I'm also a programmer, and I love having plenty of screen real estate when working, but I also like to game. So I'm looking to buy two additional monitors, and apparently you're unable to daisy chain Gsync monitors. So what I'm probably going to go with is 2x Acer XF270HU (2560x1440) at 144hz, which happens to be a Freesync panel that I'll be running with Dual Link DVI-D, as I only have a single DisplayPort per card and two DVI-D ports available (as well as an HDMI 2.0 port) on my "master" GTX970.

I have a few questions:

Do you see any issue with the above config? What would be my best bet for a 3-monitor surround with one UWQHD and two support monitors with the same resolution (1440p) but different refresh rates? (144hz + 100hz + 144hz)

Do all displays still need to be plugged into the same card for SLi to work with this generations 900 series cards? I know Crossfire requires this, but I'm not sure about Nvidia... I've heard conflicting reports.

Apparently SLi only works with 2 monitors, yet I had 3+1 Samsung S24C750P 24-Inch 1920x1080 all on the same card running with SLi enabled and had no issues, why is this? Would it work the same with my new monitors?

At that resolution on these two new monitors, 2560x1440, what refresh rate would I be getting out of a Dual Link DVI-D? I know I won't be utilizing the Freesync capabilities since it wont be using DisplayPort, but I'd still like to get the best I can over DVI-D, (or even potentially HDMI 2.0, if that's an option)

Any other options, opinions, or commentary is very much appreciated. It's very difficult to find information on such a build since it's pretty rare, read: borderline insane, to have a setup like this and it often has me scratching my head.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how best to mount these things, that'd be very helpful :)

Thank you!

Solution

It would effect your predator's refresh rate if you decided to use all 3 for surround gaming, all would be limited to 60Hz.

2x1440 panels combined with a 3440x1440 panel would effectively make you surround resolution 8560x1440. That is a ton of pixels (12,326,400 to be exact). That's 48.6% more pixels than a single 4K (3840x2160) panel. You will need some serious GPU/CPU horsepower to game at that resolution.

Just to...

spagalicious

Distinguished
If you were to go this route (one I would not recommend), all 3 panels would default to the lowest common denominator refresh rate (100Hz). Don't worry about freesync, Nvidia doesn't support it anyways.

Here's what Nvidia's surround configuration tool says about 970 2-Way SLI.
GeForce GTX 970 2way-SLI With 2D Surround (Landscape)
> Orientation: Landscape
> Accessory Display: Yes, no additional GPU
> Maximum Resolution: 11520x2160
> Maximum Resolution (Bezel Correction): 12800x1600
> Maximum number of displays: 2-5 in Surround
1 Accessory Display
Special Instructions:
> Center (primary) Display of the Surround group should be connected to the left most card.
> Accessory Display must be connected to the card with most number of displays.
> You can use any connector to enable the Accessory Display
> G-SYNC and regular monitors can be mixed in Surround; effects of G-SYNC will only be seen on G-SYNC- enabled monitors

Two suggested configurations:
GTX980970_2way_Option1.png

GTX980970_2way_Option2.png

That configuration will be very hard on your hardware, for gaming anyways. 144Hz is relatively useless if you are just using the panel for productivity. Have you considered buying a supplementary display rather than two higher-end gaming displays? Something like a 32-43" 4K panel, maybe a Korean brand?

bytemunchr

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I have not really looked, just kind of dumped my thoughts here. I'm really only looking for a 1440 display to match the resolution of the predator. So it is possible to use the ports on the second card while utilizing SLi?

Also, if I were to buy 2 60hz displays, would that effect the predator's refresh rate?

spagalicious

Distinguished

It would effect your predator's refresh rate if you decided to use all 3 for surround gaming, all would be limited to 60Hz.

2x1440 panels combined with a 3440x1440 panel would effectively make you surround resolution 8560x1440. That is a ton of pixels (12,326,400 to be exact). That's 48.6% more pixels than a single 4K (3840x2160) panel. You will need some serious GPU/CPU horsepower to game at that resolution.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything. Just trying to offer some insight. The reason I mentioned a 4K screen is because you mentioned you are looking for additional screen real estate. Maybe consider a 40" Korean panel such as the Microboard B400 or the Crossover 404K?

Two 970s with the X34 is an awesome setup and perfectly suited to the task of gaming as such a resolution. Adding two 1440 displays (non-curved, mind you) may result in a wonky experience. Not to mention, you will need to dial down the settings in games to get playable framerates.

Suggestions:
1.) Don't buy the additional 144Hz 1440p displays. Look into a 4K or single display of your choice to use as an accessory panel to accompany your X34 (which is a fantastic display)

2.) Consider saving for an additional X34 to use in surround. Two curved ultrawides in surround would be an incredible experience, albeit an expensive one.

3.) Go for the setup you described in your OP. Surround will support the setup you described, but you may run in to performance issues. Mixing curved and flat displays may present issues as well.

4.) Keep your X34 and think on it for awhile. DP1.3 panels are coming out this year and will make it possible for maintaining 120Hz@4K resolution.

Cheers

Solution

bytemunchr

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Thank you! Yeah I don't think I'll be gaming at that resolution very often, possibly never. I've thought about another predator, or two potentially, but at that point I'd probably sell off the 970's and go with 2 or 3 980 TIs. I'm honestly just a fan of the three display setup, so I'm thinking I may just go with two cheaper 1440p displays at the flanks potentially. I find even though the x34 is quite large, I'm used to bigger and I just need an accessory monitor or two for productivity's sake. What I've found is that it's pretty hard to find any 1440p monitors that aren't slated for gaming. Don't know if I'd want to venture into the 4k world just quite yet, having two displays with various resolutions would be kinda awkward for me.

spagalicious

Distinguished

No problem. Don't forget, 14nm/16nm cards are just around the corner (Q3/Q4 2016). No need to invest more in yesterdays silicon.

If you would like suggestions on a 2560x1440 panel, there a ton of good non-gaming panels out there for a reasonable price. Let me know size and preferred panel type (IPS/TN/VA) and I can give you some suggestions.

bytemunchr

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Thanks!

Yeah I will probably wait for the new gen cards, very good point.

That'd help a lot, I'm looking for something that would ideally be the same height as the predator (14.75" x 32.48" x 3.91") so probably 27in. Also, going to stick with IPS for the flank displays as well. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

spagalicious

Distinguished
Something like this BenQ GW2765HT represents a pretty good value. $349 on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014383&cm_re=27%22_ips_1440-_-24-014-383-_-Product

or

Acer K272HULbmiidp. $299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009626&cm_re=27%22_ips_1440-_-24-009-626-_-Product

$200 cheaper than the XF270HU. Keep in mind these panels will not keep up with your Predator should you use them all to game. Both panels have slower response times and input lag. But those specs mean nothing if not gaming. If you are just going to use these panels just for productivity though, I'm not sure it makes sense to buy 2. But that's just me.