Product key on new gaming PC (win 10)

Chrysalis Gamer

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
I have just installed windows 10 on my 1 day old gaming PC. I just built it yesterday and installed windows 10 on it. But it says that windows couldn't activate because there is no product key. I installed it from an iso from my windows 7 laptop. I tried using my laptops product key and it didn't work. So I was wondering how do I activate it if I don't have a product key. And I don't want to buy anything and yes, my windows 7 laptop has windows activated

Solution
Different computer/laptop = Different OS license.

Win10 is FREE to UPGRADE - not to put on a new PC and use for free.

You will have to buy it if you want to use it.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
The Old license is OEM can't be used on a new build , it's tied to the laptop , you need to buy a new license.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^