Windows 10 detects RAID 0 HDD's as SSD's

EpicWarcrafter

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hi all,
So my rig had 2 Seagte 1TB drives in RAID 0 last week and one of the drives was on its way out with read errors. I pulled the array and setup two new Seagate 1TB drives in RAID 0 (same models). After I set the drives up and formatted the array in Windows I noticed in the "Optimize Drives" utility that windows is showing the array as an SSD. Since this is has happened, I cant defrag my array, as Win 10 Optimize automatically uses the TRIM feature for any SSD's in the system, and is incompatible with mechanical HDD's. I did some searching and none of the solutions worked for me. This array is not my primary OS drive, its acting as my storage drive. I have 2 SSD's in the system already as my OS drive and a gaming drive. This wasnt a problem with my old array. Here is what Ive tried, to no avail... Any suggestions?

WinSAT formal command does not fix the problem
BIOS is set to RAID and AHCI (nothing different here from before)
Setting the Win 10 optimize service to automatic didnt help
Have the latest BIOS flash on mobo
Not running any Intel RST software

Did you setup the RAID in the Intel BIOS or in Windows?

Have you tried installing the latest Intel RST to see if it solves the issue?

I never don't install Intel RST RAID or not because it includes the latest AHCI/RAID driver which offers way better performance than the stock Microsoft driver.

EpicWarcrafter

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Installed the latest RST v.14.8 for x64 Windows 10. After install and restart windows sits at the logon screen gor 2-3 min then errors out with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Forcing me to go into recovery and system restore.

EpicWarcrafter

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Installed Windows on a stand alone SSD. The RAID array is the D: drive used for storage. The mobo BIOS is setup in RAID mode. The old array was detected as HDD's. I pulled the old array, paired the new disks in the RAID BIOS, created and formatted the partition in Windows. Windows then detected the drives as an SSD array.

That is very odd. I just had to do a new install of 10 on my setup which I have a SSD for the OS and a RAID0 for data and it shows up as a HDD.

I will do some digging to see if there is anything that needs to be changed.

What settings did you put in the RAID BIOS for your RAID0?

EpicWarcrafter

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
2nd response mentions if the RST drivers where already installed, and to uninstall them. Im my case i never had them installed at all. Once I did, I couldnt boot into Windows, and had to run the system restore to get the old drivers back. Also the registry setting that is responsible for deciding how fast the drive is to determine what is an ssd or hdd only relates to the primary OS drive. So changing that setting wont help.