Are VA panels still bad for gaming?

spaightsplat

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I've been looking into getting a 3440x1440p, high refresh rate monitor (hopefully with freesync), and saw that AOU and Samsung both have new options for these coming out later this year. However, I am planning on using it almost exclusively for gaming, and the new monitors are all VA panels, which I've heard are bad for gaming due to issues with ghosting and input lag. Are these still major problems with VA panels, or have they largely been sorted out? Also, are there any other problems with VA panels that I should be aware of before making my decision? Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
no, response time is irrelevant. the number you see advertised is fake. the only way to achieve a true 1 ms response time persistance, is by using lightboost, found on various gaming monitors. thats just a myth floating around, that lower response time is better, its all purely to boost sales, no truth in what they say.

input lag is also a hot topic. but not a single monitor in existance unless its several years old, is going to be a problem for those that are after low input lag. they brand them as "gaming", where as they use slightly "worse" components in professional monitors, where they prioritize picture quality, but as far as gaming monitors are concerned. you cant go wrong with any of them.

6R1M01R3

Distinguished
Sadly, yes. For gaming you would go with the old TN screens or IPS. IPS has better colors than TN and better response times than VA, but i think that TN screens have the highest refresh rates and input response, while colors arent as nice as IPS.

spaightsplat

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

What's the difference between input lag and response time? I'm assuming that response time is still something I should worry about for gaming (monitor newb here).

no, response time is irrelevant. the number you see advertised is fake. the only way to achieve a true 1 ms response time persistance, is by using lightboost, found on various gaming monitors. thats just a myth floating around, that lower response time is better, its all purely to boost sales, no truth in what they say.

input lag is also a hot topic. but not a single monitor in existance unless its several years old, is going to be a problem for those that are after low input lag. they brand them as "gaming", where as they use slightly "worse" components in professional monitors, where they prioritize picture quality, but as far as gaming monitors are concerned. you cant go wrong with any of them.

Solution

spaightsplat

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

So does that mean that VA panels work well for gaming? Or are there other reasons that make them not as good? (btw, I accidentally chose you're answer as the best so... You're welcome, I guess).

other than the fact that not a single ips or tn monitor on the market can beat a va monitors picture quality? the best value monitor on the entire market as far as responsiveness (input lag), response time (ghosting), refresh rate (typical 60) is concerned, the GW2470H cant be beat at this pricepoint:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2470H-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B013GERDME

i can unselect that, if you want.

spaightsplat

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

So VA panels are perfectly fine as long as you get a good one, but they just got a bad rap? No need to unselect it, I think you've given the best answers anyway.