Creating windows 10 recovery and installation CD from current OS

itsbabu

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Hi,

I've bought a new HP Windows 10 laptop recently. I have two partitions(installation drive C: and recovery partition). When I am trying to create a recovery CD, it is asking for 32 GB space. My doubts are
1. In some sites, I red the recovery CD process takes 4 or 8 GB space. Don't know why mine is asking for 32 GB even if I unchecked files backup option. Is there any way to create recovery CD with less space or Do I need to use multiple DVDs?

2. Does recovery CD work like an installation CD as well? I mean can I use it to install fresh OS if in case my current OS is corrupted?

3. Will it be asked for windows 10 activation again for fresh installation?

4. At the time of fresh installation, does it delete all partitions or give a permission to chose installation drive?

Could someone please let me know about these.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Babu

Solution
Here is a how-to here on Tom's about how to download and create Windows 10 install media: (Be sure to download the same version of Windows you are currently running... Home or Pro)

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2745957/create-windows-installation-usb-drive-dvd.html

If you ever have to reinstall Windows 10 you don't need to enter a product key. Your system is already registered as activated on MS servers. You just select skip product key during installation and Windows 10 will activate once the install completes.

A 'fresh' install of Windows will overwrite your current partitions.

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Here is a how-to here on Tom's about how to download and create Windows 10 install media: (Be sure to download the same version of Windows you are currently running... Home or Pro)

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2745957/create-windows-installation-usb-drive-dvd.html

If you ever have to reinstall Windows 10 you don't need to enter a product key. Your system is already registered as activated on MS servers. You just select skip product key during installation and Windows 10 will activate once the install completes.

A 'fresh' install of Windows will overwrite your current partitions.

Solution

itsbabu

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014

Hi rcxtra,

Thank you very much for your response. So no need to worry about the activation of Windows. Cool.. :)
And also do you have any idea on the questions that I asked about recovery CD?

Thanks,
Babu

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

A recovery CD is meant to boot a PC and restore a previous disk backup image (from external or hidden disk partition). It also has some repair tools to fix a broken installation, but those repair tools also exist on the Windows installation disk. I'm not sure the Install disk has the backup recovery though, I haven't used windows backup utilities in a long time (I use 3'rd party software for my backups and recovery).