Building A New PC; Question About Windows.

Faust87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2016
I am currently in the process of building a new PC, and I got reading about SSDs and I'm quite interested in getting one to install Windows on. I currently have Windows 7 that I have upgrade to Windows 10. Will I be able to authenticate Windows on a clean install on the SSD? Or since my hardware is all going to be new, will I run into an issue with authentication? I plan on using my current HDDs (including the one Windows 10 is currently installed on) in my build

Solution
Where did you get your old Win7 license? Did it come with your old computer (HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc)? If it did, then you aren't suppose to "transfer" that license, it is linked to that computer and motherboard.

If you bought it retail (or download) - they you can transfer it - you may have to use the automated call in (now with a new smart phone option too!!) to re-activate it.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Where did you get your old Win7 license? Did it come with your old computer (HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc)? If it did, then you aren't suppose to "transfer" that license, it is linked to that computer and motherboard.

If you bought it retail (or download) - they you can transfer it - you may have to use the automated call in (now with a new smart phone option too!!) to re-activate it.

Solution