Sharing Files and Folders Remotely.... Help

beholder_46

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
It's so easy to share folders on LAN with Windows, so much so that it shows automatically on my Mac and even on my Chromebook. But accessing the folder remotely via the internet? Nahhh.

I thought the Windows 10 works with SMB and I need to open port 445 for that. I know it's not exactly safe, but I wanted an experiment. Didn't work.

How does Windows 10 promotes its users to share files...? What's the easiest way? I find it hard to believe that the simplest way to share files on Windows now days is to dig defunct FTP server somewhere deep in the settings and open it to the entire world to hack. You want to tell me that's the best Windows 10 offers to share files?

I understand Microsoft is pushing SkyDrive as an option for home users and Windows Server for companies... but there's nothing in between? Just FileZilla? Really...? I Googled, looked everywhere, and people are talking about Remote Desktop and third party SFTP servers. Again, I find it hard to believe that's the best solution. With Linux, it took me 10 seconds to download SFTP and then I could log into my Linux computer from my *cell phones* no problem. Come on.

OK, enough frustration. I must be missing something as obvious as a mountain. What do you guys use? Do tell.

Lutfij

Titan
Dropbox is one option though it's not exactly a solution in your case whereby you may require more files than what is allocated in a specific folder/sub folder. You're right about Microsoft trying to unify it's app/solutions under one banner and Windows 10 helps them accomplish this.

I use Teamviewer to locate my files on a remote system and then have the files either added to drop box and sync or have the files emailed to me.

QboxForYou

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
If you’re looking for a file sharing and collaboration resource for your Quickbooks, MS Access, Word, Excel, or Powerpoint files, I would highly recommend checking out Qbox!

When using Qbox, you will have a locally hosted copy of the file that is continually synchronized with your remote copy. In other words, no more sending files back and forth, no more screen sharing, no expensive cloud hosting and no more downloading/uploading files. With Qbox, there is also a locking technology that avoids the creation of conflicting copies.

Visit their website at www.qboxplus.com for more information!