Will a NVIDIA Shield tablet stream games over wifi from a PC connected via ethernet?

priorpeak

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
My gaming rig does not have wireless capability, so I currently have it plugged in via ethernet. If I were to purchase a NVIDIA Shield tablet, would it still be able to stream games if it is connected to wifi and the PC is connected through ethernet? (They will still be on the same network). Also, if it can work, is the Shield able to stream from anywhere with a wifi connection? For example, could I stream games from my home PC while connected to wifi at a coffee shop? Does this require port forwarding? Thanks!

Solution
Yes it will work. It's DESIGNED exactly for what your situation needs. All you need is a wifi router that meets the minimum requirements for SHIELD. It doesn't matter if the host PC is connected via wifi or ethernet. However I'd recommend ethernet either way to minimize lag.

As for gaming at your local coffee shop. No. But, if you use a VPN it could work, but it would be laggy.
Yes it will work. It's DESIGNED exactly for what your situation needs. All you need is a wifi router that meets the minimum requirements for SHIELD. It doesn't matter if the host PC is connected via wifi or ethernet. However I'd recommend ethernet either way to minimize lag.

As for gaming at your local coffee shop. No. But, if you use a VPN it could work, but it would be laggy.

Solution