static IP and Default Gateway

HopeMcCloud

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
windows7 pc on LAN has default gateway
cannot get windows10 PC on LAN to print to network printer until I erased the default gateway

Also have a wi-fi network to satellite for internet

Solution
Okay, so here's how I would handle this.

All routers/switches would lead back to a firewall. I would then add an access rule that can allow to the two networks to talk to each other. The standard windows firewall is not what I was asking about. I mean a physical firewall like a Dell SonicWall or a Cisco ASA or something.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Why is your network static? Is DHCP not working? What do you mean by until you erased the gateway? You would go into your network properties, remove the gateway and then it would print?

Are your printer and your computer on the same network?

HopeMcCloud

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
We have two networks. wifi to satellite for internet access (if you see cows you don't see cable). Ethernet LAN to a high-speed Network Printer. Microsoft apps would not print (not even a test page) on Windows10 PC until I made the LAN static IP. But then links in I.E. stopped working. Found another post which suggested static IP with no default gateway. Seems to have worked. Wondering why this changed between windows7 and windows10. Two other Windows7 PCs use the same configuration (wifi and ethernet) and Windows7 PC's do have the default gateway configured with no problems.

HopeMcCloud

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
I am sure we have a router for the wi-fi and satellite. I don't think (?) there is a router on the LAN. Each PC as well as the printer has a LAN cable to a LAN port in the wall.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Okay, so the port in the wall leads back to a router. So, depending on your network setup, there's a few different ways to do this but the problem is the two networks are not talking.

Is this for your home or business? Do you have a firewall you know of?

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Okay, so here's how I would handle this.

All routers/switches would lead back to a firewall. I would then add an access rule that can allow to the two networks to talk to each other. The standard windows firewall is not what I was asking about. I mean a physical firewall like a Dell SonicWall or a Cisco ASA or something.

Solution