2TB Ext USB 3.0 HDD w/content: Put on XP Pro PC?

Mrcreosote

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
I have a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB which has that nifty docking base - the docking base has failed. (Clever feature, you could have a USB 2.0 dock and you could upgrade to a USB 3.0 dock.)

The drive tested OK connected to a Win7 PC via a SATA to USB HDD tester.

However there is content that I need to use and would like to simply install as an internal drive in an XP Pro PC.

IF the drive is MBR, then it should work, right?

However, just because it is a 2TB drive, does not mean Seagate did not use GPT - especially since the drive is connecting to their docking base. (There is no need to make it MBR so it would work on XP PC's as an internal drive.)

If it is GPT and I install internally on an XPpro PC, would it simply not work, or would it corrupt my data?

I would think the XP install disk would simply not recognize the GPT partition and forces you to delete it and start scratch.

If XP install can't handle it, hook it up to ANY machine as a data drive and use DISKPART CLEAN to return HD to its "virgin" condition.

Mrcreosote

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
Forgot to mention, this 2TB drive would NOT be the boot drive - it would be a 2nd or 3rd drive.

Sooooo... If GPT, would XP simply not see it? and would the data be safe??? This is HUGE CONCERN!

So hook it up to your XP machine, if it sees it great, if it doesn't see it then you need to hook it up to something else to retrieve the data if no backup if available. HUGE CONCERN? Where are your backups?

Mrcreosote

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2016
Haha, this drive was the backup! And I was working on the copy of the backup.

Big problem is I have 1GB NIC cards in all my PC's and my data transfer rate is about 1 to 10%. I have no idea why so slow. Has always been slow. In fact, when I upgraded from 100MB to 1000MB I didn't notice any improvement. Copying 1TB of data off that HDD will take at least 1 day.