AMD II X4 955 Black Edition vs FX-6300 or FX-8320

Drkgamer

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
I currently have a II x4 955 BE and looking to upgrade my CPU as i have just bought a GTX 970. Give me your opinions on if i should keep my current CPU or switch to one of the following, or change my whole system to Intel. I don't do anything more intense other than the 2 games below. Have no experience in overclocking.

My current setup is:
RAM: 8GB HyperX Blu Ram DDR3
MOTHERBOARD: GA-970A-UD3 Rev. 3.0
GPU: GTX 970
CPU: Hyper 212 CPU cooler
HDD: Crucial M4 SSD
DISPLAY: 2x monitors (1920x1080) AOC 23" LED and Dell 23" LCD

I'm currently looking at playing some Fallout 4, GTA 5, World of Warcraft and The Witcher

Drkgamer

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Sorry forgot to mention i'm in NZ and that CPU isn't available at any stores here.

Welcome fellow Kiwi.

What version of the motherboard do you have? 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 lack heatsinks on the VRMs that makes this board dodgy for even a FX6300, especially if you think of overclocking it.

In any situation, the power delivery for that motherboard is limited to running a FX6300 for high-performance gaming. A FX8??? may fit and may boot, and will browse OK. Gaming is a high-performance application and those are especially demanding games and you would need a different motherboard for a FX8??? series chip.

Drkgamer

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Just updated the motherboard specs in the post now :) it was a UD3 not just D3 and it's rev 3.0

Drkgamer

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
What about changing to an intel set up? Looking into the i5-6600k. Made another forum post aswell: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2977696/motherboard-cpu-upgrade.html

OK UD3 is a good board that will run and overclock a FX8??? well.

At the moment, to get decent performance out of an AMD chip, especially for gaming, it needs to be overclocked. Games tends to use a small number of cores, so four is usually enough. AMD cores are significantly weaker than Intel cores at the moment.

Before I did anything, I would learn to overclock the existing CPU. It is cheap and will give you a decent performance boost. The FX6300 and FX8300 are not much more powerful than what you have. They do have more cores, so their throughput is greater, but that is of limited value with gaming.

You have a good board for overclocking, try it ! :)