External HDD not recognized after accidental deletion of partition

Ivan311

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
EDIT: I now understand better what happened. I accidentally turned my external HDD (Seagate Momentus STL50LM02) into a recovery drive in Windows 8. While the process to undo this is to be found online, I'm stuck in that I cannot make my laptop detect the external HDD, as it does not even show up (when connected via USB) with the diskpart command, let alone in the Device Manager or the Disk Management.

Does this mean I made my external HDD unusable by turning it into an undetectable recovery drive?

Ivan311

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Thanks for answering.

Not at all, I have it elsewhere. I'd just be happy to have a working external HDD again.

Ivan311

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Here it is:

2mUzjMf.png

It used to show up as "G:" if I remember correctly.

As a side note, I've also tried multiple data recovery programs (to see if they could at least recognize/detect the drive) and other USB ports in this laptop and in a friend's, but the drive remains undetectable.

Ivan311

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
I have. I have also shut down the laptop and waited before restarting and replugging. Same result. The light turns on and stays on and the drive gets slightly warm, just as it did when it was working properly. But it isn't recognized, whether in my laptop or in my friend's. It's a month old drive.

I know now I shouldn't have turned it into a recovery drive, but I'm baffled as to why this made it undetectable.