PC won't wake up after hibernation (Windows 10)

MisterTaur

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
I'm not sure if this is the right category to ask this question, so excuse me if I'm wrong.

Since I got a new PC (everything except HDD) whenever I leave it until it goes to hibernation I can't wake it up afterwards. The only solution is to do a hard shutdown by holding the button. My mouse doesn't light up and so does my keyboard so I'm guessing I can't wake it up because those are unresponsive. I've tried going to Device Manager and setting them to be able to wake the PC up but the issue still remains. This is really annoying because I can't continue doing what I was at and sometimes I lose my saves and whatnot. Thank you in advance!

MisterTaur

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
I might try that, but wouldn't it only disable hibernation, not fix the issue. Maybe the thing that's causing this can be the cause of other problems later down the line.

Wasn't what I thought. You might try going into the Bios and making sure that any settings for "Wake on USB" (if you have them) are enabled. Also, in the device manager, right click on the USB devices and your mouse and keyboard (under Human Interface devices), select "Properties", then under the Power Management tab, uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power."

It's a common problem and there are a number of different solutions that work, the trick is finding the right one. You can try going back into your Bios and enabling "Wake on LAN", and disabling the advanced sleep states. Another thing to try is to go into Power Options from the Control Panel, select your power plan, then select "Change Plan Settings" then "Change advanced plan settings". Change the hard disk setting to "Never", the settings for Sleep to "Off" or "Never", and the setting for USB to "Disabled".

MisterTaur

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
I guess I'll just disable it from going to sleep mode, but just wondering, would changing the HDD maybe help this? It's an old one that is going to get replaced in a few weeks anyways.

MisterTaur

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Maybe we can continue tomorrow, It's late here where I'm at so I'm going to sleep. You can tell me some stuff to try when I wake up and I'll report when I check those out.

alkemyst

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have been dealing with this same issue too. I have to unplug my PC and then it works (it actually restores the hibernated session most of the time, sometimes it re-boots fully). Most of the time it wakes up properly though.

That and some video crashes are plaguing me with Windows 10 64 bit.

I have an AMD 955x4 and a 6870 GPU....my PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W so over kill for what I am running.

I am hoping to upgrade this year to a 4690K or 4790K and a decent motherboard so I can reuse my memory. I want to go to a 1TB SSD as well.

My full rig is at http://www.30moons.com/pc_chiapet.php

Å