Will this CPU cooler fit in my board?

Rascals

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Hi everyone. I have an Intel 4790(Socket 1150) CPU. And I have a MSI H81M-P32L Motherboard. With a NVIDIA Geforce GIGABYTE G1 GTX 970 Graphics card.
I have just ordered the CoolerMaster Hyper 212X CPU cooler. Basically I would like to know if the CPU cooler would be able to fit on my board comfortably? As my Graphics card is rather big.

Thanks

Regards,

I have to disagree in general. On many mATX boards, the first PCIe slot is so close to the socket that CPU coolers block access to the socket.. That is why I had to use a Noctua NH D15S rather than the D15. That's why Noctua makes the S coolers, to offset them for such systems (and mITX)

In this situation, the CM 212 can be turned to improve either RAM clearance or GPU clearance, because it is a thin-ish rectangular prism (although rather tall).

The fan can be move higher or to the other side of RAM clearance is a problem..

What is your case? Will it handle the height?

I'm not saying it won't fit. I needed to know what your case is. I see you are in South Africa. The case has only 150mm height clearance for a CPU cooler. Your CM 212 is too tall. NOW I'm saying it will not fit. :(

Can you get a CRYORIG H7? It's a little more expensive, but shorter. The CM TX3 is also shorter. You don't need much better than stock.

Rascals

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Wait when you said measure it from the socket to the top of the case, did you mean from the bottom of the socket or from the top part of the socket?

Rascals

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
I measured with a ruler from that red line to the top of my case...
Image:
http://postimg.org/image/6nr7nenkx/

Is that how you wanted me to measure it or should i have measured it from the bottom of the CPU socket to the top of my case?

Zoom in to see the red line please...

15mm is more than half an inch. It won't matter. From the surface of the CPU.

Don't want to sound like a pill, but I suggest that you look up the specifications of the TX3 and see how it looks. That way you will be making the decisions based on more information than I have, because you have the system right in front of you. That case is not available in my market, so I am unfamiliar with it.

Rascals

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Okay thanks Bud. I appreciate your help. I had an Intel I3 4160 Processor and i upgraded last week to a Intel I7 4790 Processor. And i used the Intel I3 stock cooler that was initially on the 4160 that i previously had. Not sure if this is true, maybe you can shed some light on this , apparently its not good to use an I3 cooler on an I7 CPU as its base is aluminum and not copper? Is that true or? Cause i would like to be able to use my PC to game on for the time being, but if its going to damage/take life off of my I7 then i would rather not...
What do you think? :)

The i3 cooler is a lot less robust than the G3258, i5, or i7 cooler. I have some of each and know from experience. What about the cooler that came with the i7? Damage and life off will only occur if the temperatures get too high for too l;ng. If you can keep the idle under 35C and the load temps under 65C or so, I'd work with that. Maybe a friend has a spare g3258. i5. or i7 stock cooler. I have several of them, but I'm in the USA.

Rascals

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
I see. Thats the thing, when i purchased my CPU it came with no HSF. Wow, that's a lot of coolers, would sending me one via shipping be expensive?

None of my friends have no. Been asking everyday... :/

Maybe there's a shop that assembles or repairs computers or a local auction or 'spares' web-site you could use?

Packaging, customs, and freight would get extreme. We build a lot of computers at school and many have aftermarket coolers, so I collect the spares. I don't use i3 cooler on i3s. I replace them with the better ones.

Rascals

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
I have been looking EVERYWHERE DonkeyOatie :(
So you suggest not using my I3 stock cooler on my I7 just for the time being?

Rascals

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Thanks man. When it comes to dimensions of something eg: the cpu cooler? What is it first Height, Width & Length or?
Like what order does it go in?