New Hardware Found on Every Boot.

bobad

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Hi,

This one sounds obvious and easy, but it's eating my lunch.

On each Win10 boot, 5-6 seconds after the desktop appears, I hear the familiar "Hardware Connected" notification sound. Win 10 hesitates 10-15 sec, and resumes booting normally with no error dialogs. The HW WIzard does not pop up, and all hardware works as expected.

Normally, that tells us a driver wasn't loading and staying loaded for a hardware device. Yet,,, when I look in Device Manager, there are no flags, even among the hidden devices.

So far, I have eliminated all USB devices, bluetooth, extra monitor, even unplugged an internal drive.

Board is an Asus P8Z68-V Gen3. GPU is NV GTX 550 Ti with latest drivers.

Anyone have any ideas?

Does Win 10 have a log that lists driver loading on boot with the loading time? I'm thinking the offending device should be about the last one to load.

Many thanks,,,

Bob

Solution
Hey there, Bob!

I'd recommend you get the latest driver updates (more specifically the SATA controller & Chipset drivers) straight from the motherboard manufacturer's website and install them manually, instead of using Windows Updates. I'd also suggest you try fixing the issue by resetting BIOS. This will get all your BIOS settings back to factory defaults, so you might need to reconfigure some of them afterwards.
I'd also suggest you go to Device Manager and make sure that there are no Unknown Devices that could be causing these prompts. If there are such, I'd disable them to see if the system will alert you about 'New Hardware Found' again.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, Bob!

I'd recommend you get the latest driver updates (more specifically the SATA controller & Chipset drivers) straight from the motherboard manufacturer's website and install them manually, instead of using Windows Updates. I'd also suggest you try fixing the issue by resetting BIOS. This will get all your BIOS settings back to factory defaults, so you might need to reconfigure some of them afterwards.
I'd also suggest you go to Device Manager and make sure that there are no Unknown Devices that could be causing these prompts. If there are such, I'd disable them to see if the system will alert you about 'New Hardware Found' again.

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution