Where will an A+ cert land me?

Oneyejoe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2014
I am aware that answers will differ based on the experience from each individual but my question also differs from other individuals i have seen on other forums. I Just turned 20 years old, currently attending college going towards a bachelors degree with "Information systems technology and business degree" being my major. (finishing my 1st year this semester) I currently work at radio shack as well as a delivery driver for Domino's so i do not really have any experience in the IT field whatsoever. So In order to gain experience i am pursing the CompTIA A+ exam studying hard in order to pass this exam. Once I pass how likely do you think it will be for me to land a job in the IT field, i don't expect to become an admin, i understand i am not entitled to get a job just because i get a certification. I am in the VA beach area and i do not see many job listings for Desktop support technicians or anything (if that's what i should even purse with that cert) Doing that I hope to gain experience from a help desk technician moving my way up in the field. My end goal is to be a Network security analyst. But anyways i may have drifted from my question however I would like to know if this is possible? or am i thinking too ahead of myself. What job/career do you think i could land with no experience with a cert as a full time college student? how likely do you think it is considering my area?

sammy sung

Distinguished
As noted above, basic help desk style jobs are the cardinal entry point. Otherwise apply to some local repair shops that also do home/business networking. Also decent places to start out, building a resume and soaking up knowledge/experience

Ralston18

Titan
Look for a user group or computer club in your area. That will help build some contacts.

Lots of military defense contractors down in that area. Per the previous postings find out who they are and see what opportunities (i.e., job openings) they are looking to fill.

The main thing you need to do is to truly convince a potential employer that you can do the job, be reliable, be honest, be a team player, stay out of trouble (for the most part) and not be too much of a hassle to your boss.

You must "pay your dues" and that means Helpdesk.

A+ won't matter with an "Information systems technology and business degree". You'll have to put in a few years at the low-paying, help desk tech support jobs before you actually will be able to do anything of substance.

popatim

Titan
Up here in my neck of the woods, A+ wont get you anything without experience to back it.
An HDI Service Desk Analyst to back up the A+ would almost be a requirement.
{we have way to many unemployed IT people up here. Remember any career that can be done over IP will be done elsewhere for a fraction of your pay eventually}

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
popatim i hope wherever you live is far from Houston.... :p I am hoping I can find and land a help desk or some sort of job... my complication is I need one that gives insurance while I get my experience, unless they have part time openings.

You should be able to get an entry level help desk job in Houston (think like $35-$40k a year tops) with half decent medical benefits. A close friend of mine recently graduated with a degree in Network Engineering and had several (at least a dozen) certs similar to and including A+. He started at a job one level up from entry level and makes exactly 40k a year before taxes or benefits are taken out. This is in Central MD where there is a very large IT presence.

If you can, stay on your parents insurance until you are 26. I'm doing that, and I save about $2000 a year not taking health benefits form my job.

nirrtix

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
well I am almost 40 cannot do that I have medicare. That is part of the problem. I do not want to live forever on disability, but to do that I need a good job with insurance. Ironically I am epileptic (seizures are not caused by computers) and the medicine is about $2k a month without insurance. IF I take a leap of faith and get a full time job at a help desk place I guess my worry is that even if the place pays well that it will be one of those places that have a revolving door. Even the certifications do not prepare you for everything in work. While I have experience on my own machine I still often come here asking questions about this or that and trying other peoples solutions or getting help to figure out the problem. I guess I am worried I will lose the benefits I need then be without a job to pay for the Epilepsy medicine etc...

TRENDING THREADS