Looking for a 120 Hertz Freesync monitor, if it exists.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
Here is my current hardware: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VP6TsY

Pretty soon I will have enough save money for a new monitor (Around 300-500 USD) and I am having a difficult time finding the right monitor for my hardware. Like the title says, I'm specifically looking for a 120 Hertz AMD Freesync compatible monitor. I would go for a 144 Hertz Freesync monitor but my CPU limits my frames in the only game I play competitively; Counter Strike:Global Offensive.

I currently get anywhere from 120 fps in CPU intensive areas and 300+ in low CPU load areas. I wouldn't want to upgrade to 144hz from 60hz if at high load I'm down 24 frames from my refresh rate. Along with, I have to use a Freesync compatible monitor because of my AMD graphics card which is a given if you know anything about monitors.

If you would like to discuss more about this please comment or give me information about my issue or provide links to purchase a monitor with my specifications.

Also, I do not care whether its a TN or IPS panel or resolution you link me to. Thank you.

Solution
You can't find a 120hz freesync monitor. 120hz pretty much died before freesync became a thing. Also with lower settings you should be hitting 200fps constantly, not to mention have you thought of overclocking the CPU? I see you have a cooler so getting 300-400mhz out of it will give you those 30 FPS you require. Also with that budget it is not a problem and I highly recommend AOC G2460PF. Goes for around 240-270$ at the moment, 144hz 1ms delay 1080p 24" freesync. Many pros play with it, used at many tournaments (ESL One Barcelona this weekend was played on those monitors). Also freesync exists to work well with FPS different from the native of the monitor, so that 120 fps works well on a 144hz monitor, that's what freesync is about.
You can't find a 120hz freesync monitor. 120hz pretty much died before freesync became a thing. Also with lower settings you should be hitting 200fps constantly, not to mention have you thought of overclocking the CPU? I see you have a cooler so getting 300-400mhz out of it will give you those 30 FPS you require. Also with that budget it is not a problem and I highly recommend AOC G2460PF. Goes for around 240-270$ at the moment, 144hz 1ms delay 1080p 24" freesync. Many pros play with it, used at many tournaments (ESL One Barcelona this weekend was played on those monitors). Also freesync exists to work well with FPS different from the native of the monitor, so that 120 fps works well on a 144hz monitor, that's what freesync is about.

Solution

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015

Thanks for the input, that really helps out a lot. As far as the overclocking of my CPU goes, I haven't been able to reach a safe overclock without my MOBO freaking out. I was reassured that the GA-78LMT-USB3 was a bare bones MOBO not meant to OC a CPU. I play 4:3 and every setting on low with multi core rendering and have the best launch options to make the load easier on my CPU such as "-novid -high -threads 8 -nod3d9ex -nojoy". But thank you so much anyways.

Try mat_queue_mode 2 as well in launch settings. Think it was like this:
+mat_queue_mode 2
Not sure if it was with the + but pretty sure it was that way, try it, when you launch the game check it in console (it should be set to 2). If you are using the default it will be set to 1 which uses queued single threaded mode which will rape your CPU. So try 2 also if possible try -2, with the new patch some people report -2 to be working really well (no idea why when clearly valve indicates that mat_queue_mode "-2" is a legacy setting thus should be causing more problems than it solves but still worth a try with those 2 settings).

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015

Okay I just DM'ed on Dust Eleven and Cashe. On Dust I was receiving minimum 85 fps, average 125-150, max 170 ish with mat_queue_mode 2. Cashe was pretty mush the same. I looked up the variables of that command and "2" is what enables multicore. But alas GabeN hates gamers on a budget. I made sure it was on in console and set it in launch settings. Also my fps counter was NZXT's cam software I use for my grid. I am also running anywhere from 36c to 49c on my r9 290 and 14c to 26c on my fx 8120. Not sure what is holding me back if with my cpu and gpu being able to give me consistent 200-300 fps then mate.

Well for some reason they just don't want to perform. Hard to explain as well. Having an AMD cpu running on 25c pretty much guarantees it's sleeping. Yesterday installed an i5-6500 with r9 290x, csgo on everything max 1080p was not dropping below 300fps on the new Wildfire maps. Sure the i5 is better than the 8120 but hell it is not 2-3 times better, especially when it comes to CSGO. Have you checked your computer power options, I have a feeling that for some reason your PC does not want to run at full power, I mean it performs the same way as my q9400 @ 3.0GHz with a gtx 650. Check Power options of the computer, set them to maximum performance also check "Processor core parking" in google and download a software which disables it (pretty much tells to cpu to run at full power all the time), see if that works.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015

Okay I searched for the software and came across several different ones. Is there one in particular you can think off the top of your head that is best?
Also this is my current setting in windows for best performance http://imgur.com/4FOboYy

Well, don't really remember any particular, they all do the same job so just get the one highest in google :p. Also In your settings go to Processor Power Managemet (you see it under power options, advanced settings), set maximum performance state to 100% and minimum performance state to 90% (it will be at 5% or something by default, try with 90% first then maybe go for 100%). Also in PCI-Express set the Link State Power Management to Off (this way it will go for maximum performance).

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015

Alright I just watched a tutorial on how to unpark cores and i was getting a lot of feedback that windows stop parking cores in win 8/ 8.1 but I did the registry edit way. I looked at my cpu usage in task manager and not of the cores are parked as well so I don't think the software would do me any good. Also the settings you told me to switch and the values to apply were already on what you suggested except minimum cpu power, it was at 100%. So unless you can think of anything else I should try or do to help my CPU..i'm kinda back were I started. I'm out of ideas.

Here is the core information: http://imgur.com/gXnw30b

Update: No major frame improvement but it does feel a bit smoother. Not sure how that works but alright.