How to prevent Windows 10 not to create new Network profiles?

Holobombolo

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Hi,

I have Network, Network 2 and 3 profiles by default in Windows 10.

Is it possible to use only one? I get connection problems with Network profile 3 and every time I remove it, windows 10 wants find it again. How to prevent Windows 10 not to create new Network profiles?

Thanks!
Joonas

Solution
It's just the way Windows works. When you connect to a new network, Windows doesn't know if it's the same network with a different SSID or what. So it creates various different profiles for whatever network you connect to. To the best of my knowledge, there is no real way around this.

Nice catch on the registry trick!

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
You have connection problems and every time it reconnects it makes a new one? I had a question like this I answered a ways back. To answer your question directly, no, there isn't a way where you make sure it stays as just one entity. However, there is a way to remove them through the network properties "Manage Networks".

Nice name, by the way, I'm a Jonas too.

Holobombolo

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Nice to hear :)

I used regedit and found all the profiles: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

There is Network, 2 and 3. I made a backup and deleted one of those and after I rebooted computer windows 10 wants to find it again. Is there any reason why there is so many profiles?

Joonas

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
It's just the way Windows works. When you connect to a new network, Windows doesn't know if it's the same network with a different SSID or what. So it creates various different profiles for whatever network you connect to. To the best of my knowledge, there is no real way around this.

Nice catch on the registry trick!

Solution