Windows Update Options Greyed Out

shobuddy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Using Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Under Windows Update advanced options --> Choose how updates are installed, the options drop down box is greyed out. I've tried all three (enable, disable, not configured) local group policy options for windows updates (with reboot each time) but the option I mentioned above stays grayed out. I'd like to know how it can be un-greyed out.
P.S it also says "some settings are managed by your organization" in red font under the wind update advanced options.

Solution

Possibly.
Do you know your original Win 7 license key?

If so:
This PC
Properties
At the bottom, it says 'Windows is activated'
and 'Change Product Key'
Click that
Enter your Win 7 license
This changes it from an Insider Preview license to a normal Upgraded Win 7 to Win 10 license
Assuming your original...

USAFRet

Titan
Can you show a screen cap of this?

My dropdown for that shows "Notify to schedule Restart", and "Automatic"
7mf9zur.jpg

Is your "Defer upgrades" checked?

shobuddy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I updated my previous post but there was a time when it was not greyed out. I switched about a month after I got the upgrade notification in the taskbar. I had issues with the upgrade so I ended up doing a clean install. I can't remember the source of the install :(

USAFRet

Titan

A clean install, not a regular Upgrade, before November would point to you having an Insider Preview release.
Unless you did a successful Upgrade from Win 7 first.

As such, you can't influence the update cycle and properties. You get what you get.

shobuddy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Yes, the changes I make in the group policy show up under the windows update advance options but they show up greyed out. So basically I can control how the updates are installed from the group policy but not from advanced options where they stay greyed out. And perhaps they are greyed out because of USAFRet's comment about being an insider preview edition. Is there a way to upgrade to final release w/out wiping the HD?

USAFRet

Titan

Possibly.
Do you know your original Win 7 license key?

If so:
This PC
Properties
At the bottom, it says 'Windows is activated'
and 'Change Product Key'
Click that
Enter your Win 7 license
This changes it from an Insider Preview license to a normal Upgraded Win 7 to Win 10 license
Assuming your original OS was Win 7 Pro, you should have Win 10 Pro.
Allowing you to defer (not prevent) updates.

If your original Win 7 was NOT Pro, you won't have Win 10 Pro.

This may work.
I have never done this, nor needed to. But that's the theory, anyway.

Solution

shobuddy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

OK, looks like there is progress! I have the key which put in as you suggested. I didn't see any changes. I then changed local policy to "not configured" and the "Choose how updates are installed" is no longer greyed out! I can click on it and the drop down box offers "automatic" and "notify to schedule restart". Are these the only two options that should be available? I thought I would see more options, like the ones in the local group policy.

USAFRet

Titan

That's pretty much it: "automatic" and "notify to schedule restart".
Also, select "Defer upgrades". This 'defers' for (I think) 90 days. Not perm.

shobuddy

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks for your help on this! Really, thank you very much!