We couldn't create a new partition or find an existing one. win 10 fresh install

Kingbrutt

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Hello, i have run into an issue, i was doing a fresh install and upgrade from windows 7 to 10 on my fathers laptop in order to remove all the bloatware and after wiping the drive I started the windows install in which went all fine until it asked me where I want to install windows where when i selected Drive 0 unallocated Space i was given the error ''We couldn't create a new partition or find an existing one.'' if anyone has any input or ideas on what i can do to fix this please leave a comment, anything helps. :)

Solution
Choose a Custom install and then delete all the old Windows 7 partitions first. Then remake the partition (presumably one large partition) and select the entire volume, the installer will tell you it needs to make a system reserved partition, let it. Then the installer should proceed.

I am guessing that the 350MB System Reserved partition that Windows 7 uses isn't big enough for Windows 10 (500MB) so this is causing the install fail.
Choose a Custom install and then delete all the old Windows 7 partitions first. Then remake the partition (presumably one large partition) and select the entire volume, the installer will tell you it needs to make a system reserved partition, let it. Then the installer should proceed.

I am guessing that the 350MB System Reserved partition that Windows 7 uses isn't big enough for Windows 10 (500MB) so this is causing the install fail.

Solution