Need new Motherboard, how does that affect Windows?

gablett

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
So I think my motherboard is crapping out on my custom built pc. When I built it I bought a copy of windows 7, which then upgraded for free later to 8, then 8.1 and now 10. Can I just unplug everything, put in a new motherboard and continue where I left off or how will that affect my copy of windows?

Solution
Right, with Windows 8/10 once OEM is in, its in. That said if you walk into Microcenter or CompUSA/Tigerdirect/Circuit City whatever the hell they call themselves these days, and ask for Windows 10 9 times out of 10 they hand you an OEM copy. And if you order inline its the first thing that comes up. Just have to keep that in mind.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Need to wipe the drive and reinstall windows, and also need a new copy of Windows. Unfortunately the upgrades tie themselves to the motherboard. Even your Windows 7 unless it was a boxed copy and not the cheaper OEM copy you would have the same issue.

alex10653

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

I just recently upgraded my motherboard from an older chipset to a z97. Everything worked and I didn't have to do any hard drive upgrades. Why would you need to get a new OS and a new HDD?

gablett

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I want to keep the current Hard Drive. I just want to unplug everything from this motherboard and plug it into the new motherboard and continue on. Ill even buy the same brand if everyone thinks it will make things smoother.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Windows 10 (OEM and upgrade) ties itself to the hardware. It will not authenticate if you change the hardware, even if you re-install it. If you weren't running Windows 10 and other than the motherboard you recycled everything (GPU, hard drives, etc) I can see this working, however you generally STILL want to re-install windows as different motherboard drivers and so on are tied deeply within the setup and can cause performance issues.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

As I said, if you're running Windows 10 upgrade it WILL NOT work. It is tied to the motherboard hardware. It may well boot, but it will give you authentication errors.

Also anytime you upgrade the Motherboard like that a re-install of the OS is preferred as it can have a lot of performance differences if it even works.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If you own a boxed retail copy of Windows 10 you can re-use it. But any upgrade copies or OEM editions tie themselves to the motherboard hardware. Thats why they are cheaper because they are basically "one time use". It is what it is, this has been discussed here ad nausea.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Just for clarification:

OEM = Came with your HP, Dell, Acer, ASUS, Toshiba, etc computer when you bought it. This is tied to the motherboard of that computer and if you upgrade the mobo, you will have to buy a NEW license. (You can add memory, HD's, peripherals, etc, and the same model mobo, but not "upgrade" the mobo)

Boxed - you bought a copy from the computer store (or online) IN-ADDITION to all the hardware you purchased. This one you can "re-use" on your new hardware (you may have to do the call-in thing to Activate).

Rogue Leader, upgrades are not tied to the motherboard. They can be moved, but you need another OS to upgrade. So if the OP was upgrading on OEM windows 7 with a windows 8 upgrade, the upgrade could be removed and used to upgrade another system. If the base OS is retail, then he could move the whole package.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Correct a base Retail boxed copy can be transferred. You may have to call Microsoft to have them unlock your Windows 10 install, which they can do if it doesn't do it itself. But based on what he said regarding free upgrades, he likely has an OEM copy. That Win 10 upgrade is NOT transferable.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You are forgetting also OEM - Available in stores not boxed but just in shrink wrap, or online, sold at a significantly lower price than a fully boxed retail copy. Example: Win 10 Pro OEM is $139, in the Box its $199.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

You are correct, but when you read the $139 version small print - MS support is not included. It's for system builders and that system builder becomes the support - similar to an HP/Dell/etc - you call THEIR support even if it's a Windows issue. If you call MS and want help - more than likely they will require a fee ($$$$). The $199 version comes with MS support. I know this because I did read the fine print one day while waiting in line to buy (it was on the packaging of the Win 7 Pro OEM version I was buying).

Also - once you install that OEM version - it is (supposed to) also be linked to THAT mobo, and you "shouldn't" be able to move it (I think MS has been somewhat lax on this, as I've found they don't enforce it, at least in Win 7 versions).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Right, with Windows 8/10 once OEM is in, its in. That said if you walk into Microcenter or CompUSA/Tigerdirect/Circuit City whatever the hell they call themselves these days, and ask for Windows 10 9 times out of 10 they hand you an OEM copy. And if you order inline its the first thing that comes up. Just have to keep that in mind.

Solution