Computer restarts while playing games

Sascho

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Hello!

I have a problem with computer restarting while playing intensive games. I have experienced this while playing Total war Arena, AC Rouge, Witcher 3 and the most problematic is H1Z1 King of the kill. This problem occured when I updated Nvidia drivers and reinstaled C++ redistributable. I never had problems before. I have tried reinstaling drivers updateing BIOS reinstaling c++ and reinstaling windows. I was reading that it might be PSU or GPU issue. I swaped out GPU with gtx 750 and everything worked fine. I have tried my PSU and GPU on other computer and it worked fine even with more intensive games like AC syndicate. I have tried to run games only with CPU graphics and it never restarted my computer even when I set graphics to max (it was unplayable but at least I forced my CPU). I have mostly tested on H1Z1 king of the kill since its most problematic. H1z1 restarts my computer only when everything is set to max if i just stand in the game it wont restart but when I start to move computer restarts. The game likes to restart my computer when hiting I (inventory) if I have luck to move around. This happens only when I play on Ultra other settings works fine.

I really dont know what else to do. I have read other forums with simmilar issues. Tested GPU, PSU I ran CPU test Mem test disk chek... Everything seems to be right. Other games than H1z1 will restart my computer only from time to time like Witcher 3 upon loading (I dont have that problem any more when i installed win 8.1). Nothing is OCed except GPU which is factory oced.

My specs
Mobo: Gigabayte Gaming 3 z97x
CPU: Intel I5 4690 3.50 Ghz stock cooler
PSU: Chieftec aps-850CB 850W semi modular http://www.chieftec.eu/en/psus/new-a-135-serie/aps-850cb.html
RAM: crucial 8GB 1600Mhz
HDD: WD caviar black 2T
GPU: MSI gtx 970 oced

If ther is anymore questions I will glad to answer them and sorry for my bad english.

Test the RAM one stick at a time, or with new RAM. Also check for a BIOS update for the motherboard. With a clean Windows setup you ruled out software issues, just need to sort out what hardware is causing issues.

Sascho

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Tested RAM twice. Got only one stick of ram (is it possible that non dual Chanel computers are more likely to chrash?). Updated BIOS to F7 already. I Will try to borow GPU from someone and check PSU again. Oh yes and I ran some tests with MSI Kombustor GF OC test 4 which resets my computer. GPU is unable to fully load which I guess points to PSU. I Will probably swap PSU on Monday (if I dont get another GPU to test with).

The Cheiftec I remember was basically a sub-brand of Antec, but that was quite a few years ago, which is why I did not say anything about testing the power supply. If it was a re-branded Antec it's good quality.

Sascho

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
I have returned PSU to shop where its being tested... We will see if PSU is faulty in few days. I really hope its PSU problem.

Sascho

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Ok I have solved this issue. Swaped out the PSU and the restarts are gone.

Thanks for replies!