Blank Icons - Help

Hward_

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
On my Desktop, Some of my icons appear as blank files. I can still click on them and they will work. I am on window 10 and I have tried StarDox IconPakager.

Solution
To refresh and reset the icons cache, go to the following folder:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\

To see the hidden AppData folder, go to File -> Options -> View tab, and select Show hidden files, folders and drives

Once inside the folder, delete IconCache.db. Create a new file named IconCache.db, and set it to Read Only attribute in Properties (if the file is not read only, the cache won’t be reset). Then restart the computer. Remove the Read Only attribute of IconCache.db file, and the icons cache will be refreshed. The step will restore the desktop shortcut icons to their lawfully icons.

Or, instead of restarting the computer, Just start Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del), open Process tab, select 'explorer.exe' and click in 'End...

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015
To refresh and reset the icons cache, go to the following folder:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\

To see the hidden AppData folder, go to File -> Options -> View tab, and select Show hidden files, folders and drives

Once inside the folder, delete IconCache.db. Create a new file named IconCache.db, and set it to Read Only attribute in Properties (if the file is not read only, the cache won’t be reset). Then restart the computer. Remove the Read Only attribute of IconCache.db file, and the icons cache will be refreshed. The step will restore the desktop shortcut icons to their lawfully icons.

Or, instead of restarting the computer, Just start Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del), open Process tab, select 'explorer.exe' and click in 'End Process'. Then in the top of the window select 'File > New task (Run...)' and type 'explorer.exe'. That's it!

Since you also tried StarDock IconPackager, I've read that uninstalling that and restarting the computer has helped some people get their icons back.

Solution